Distance travelled by the case down a ramp w/a spring at the bottom

In summary, a 5.0 kg case of bottled Spring water is released down a 25o inclined shipping ramp and compresses a spring at the base of the ramp by 5.5 cm. Using the equation Fspring= kx, the spring constant is determined to be 13000N/m. By setting up the equation mgdcosθ= 0.5kx^2 and solving for d, the distance traveled by the case of water before hitting the spring is found to be 1.8 m. The initial given value of 2.0 cm is only used to determine the spring constant and does not play a role in the final calculation.
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg case of bottled Spring water is released from rest down a shipping ramp inclined 25oto the horizontal. At the base of the ramp, oriented parallel to its surface, is a spring that can be compressed 2.0 cm by a force 260 N. The case of water moves down the ramp and compresses the sring by 5.5 cm. How far has the case of water traveled down the ramp from its point of release before hitting the spring?

Homework Equations

Fspring= kx
E=mgh
E=0.5*kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

know that the force exerted by the spring is 260 at x=0.02 m i figured out k which is 13000N/m. i know that h= dcos [tex]\vartheta[/tex]. i set up the equation
mgdcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]= 0.5*kx2 where x now equals the difference between 5.5cm and 2.0cm and solved for d i ended up getting 1.8m when the answer is actually half that i was wondering what i did wrong??

Attachments

• springwatercase.jpg
    springwatercase.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your expression for "h."

if i use sin theta i get -1.2278 m

It should be sin, not cos. And x is not the difference between 5.5 cm and 2.0 cm, it's just 5.5 cm, i.e. the amount by which the spring is compressed.

ok...so then the 2.0 cm was just given to us to figure out the force and has nothing to do with the actual compression of the spring when the bottle hits it..??

brunettegurl said:
ok...so then the 2.0 cm was just given to us to figure out the force and has nothing to do with the actual compression of the spring when the bottle hits it..??

Right. The 2.0 cm figure is only used to determine the spring constant.

1. What factors affect the distance travelled by the case down a ramp with a spring at the bottom?

The distance travelled by the case down a ramp with a spring at the bottom is affected by the angle of the ramp, the mass of the case, the spring constant of the spring, and the initial velocity of the case.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the distance travelled?

The distance travelled by the case down a ramp with a spring at the bottom increases as the angle of the ramp increases. This is because a steeper ramp provides a greater initial velocity for the case, resulting in a longer distance travelled.

3. What is the role of mass in the distance travelled by the case down a ramp with a spring at the bottom?

The mass of the case affects the distance travelled by influencing the amount of potential energy stored in the spring. A heavier case will compress the spring more, resulting in a greater distance travelled.

4. How does the spring constant of the spring impact the distance travelled?

The spring constant of the spring determines how much force is required to compress the spring. A higher spring constant will result in a stiffer spring, meaning the case will have to exert more force to compress it, resulting in a shorter distance travelled.

5. Does the initial velocity of the case have a significant effect on the distance travelled?

Yes, the initial velocity of the case has a significant effect on the distance travelled. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer distance travelled, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter distance travelled.