Deriving Existential Quantifiers in Symbolic Logic

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question on symbolic logic. The question is about constructing a derivation for the given premises and reaching the conclusion (Az ^ ~Bz). The conversation also includes some clarification on symbols and the suggestion to make a truth table. The last comment points out that the argument is not correct as the conclusion cannot be inferred from the given premises.
nietzsche
Hi PF.

This is a homework question, but it's for symbolic logic. Figured that it didn't really make sense to post it with the math and science questions, although I'm sure people on there would know how to solve it.

I'm having trouble constructing a derivation for the following:

For all x, (Bx -> Ex).
There exists some y such that (Ay -> ~Ey).
Therefore, there exists some z such that (Az ^ ~Bz).

(Don't know how to do the symbols...)

I changed the second premise into (~Aa v ~Ea), but I don't know what to do with that. I can see that if I have Aa to begin with, then Aa -> ~Ea -> ~Bx.

But what if I have ~Ea to begin with? That's what I'm having trouble with.

Or maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way?

Hope someone on here can help me. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the Philosophy forum is right for this either, so I moved it to Calculus & Beyond. Hopefully somebody here can help. If you can post more info, that will help us all.

Note to all:
C -> D means "if C, then D" or "C implies D"
~ means "not", i.e. logical negation
v means "or"
^ means "and"

nietzsche said:
I can see that if I have Aa to begin with, then Aa -> ~Ea -> ~Bx.
Okay, so Aa → ~Bx. Maybe you can do something with that, but I don't see how we can get to the required (Aa ^ ~Ba) from there.

Perhaps you should make a truth table, to at least convince yourself that (Aa ^ ~Ba) is true and not an error in the book.

You can click the far right button on the format bar when you are typing in a message to get the latex reference. [tex]\exists[/tex] (\exists), [tex]\forall[/tex] (\forall), etc, are all in there under logic.

If you have ~Ea to begin with, then from your first premise you can get to ~Ba, which you are looking for in your conclusion. Does that help any? I'm not sure what else you were thinking here. I'm sure the assignment was due by now anyways though :tongue:.

BTW I just found this on the philosophy forum. Symbolic logic is required for majors :smile:.

The argument, as it is, is not correct: from two conditionals, you cannot infer Aa (so you cannot infer its conjunction with anything else).

Moderator's note:

We are here to provide help so that the OP, nietzsche, can solve the problem. We are not here to provide the actual solution.

Lacking further input from the OP, I urge people to refrain from providing more help at this point.

What is symbolic logic derivation?

Symbolic logic derivation is a method of using logical symbols and rules to systematically derive conclusions from given premises or assumptions. It is a formal and precise way of reasoning that is used in mathematics, philosophy, and computer science.

What are the basic components of a symbolic logic derivation?

The basic components of a symbolic logic derivation include logical symbols, such as conjunctions, disjunctions, and negations, as well as rules of inference, such as modus ponens and modus tollens. These components are used to construct logical arguments or proofs.

How is symbolic logic derivation different from natural language reasoning?

Symbolic logic derivation is different from natural language reasoning in that it is based on a formal system of symbols and rules, whereas natural language reasoning is based on everyday language and intuition. This makes symbolic logic derivation more precise and less prone to ambiguity or errors.

What are some common applications of symbolic logic derivation?

Symbolic logic derivation is used in a variety of fields, including mathematics, philosophy, computer science, and linguistics. It is particularly useful in those fields where precise and rigorous reasoning is necessary, such as in proving theorems, analyzing arguments, and designing logical systems.

Are there any limitations to symbolic logic derivation?

While symbolic logic derivation is a powerful tool for reasoning, it does have some limitations. For example, it is unable to handle certain types of problems, such as those involving paradoxes or non-logical concepts. Additionally, the process of constructing a formal proof can be time-consuming and may not always reflect the intuitive or creative aspects of human reasoning.