Mechanics of solids question from my mid semester exam

In summary, the problem involves finding the stresses on the foundation of a small dam of triangular shape made from concrete. Using the equations for combined axial and bending stresses, the forces and stresses can be calculated by considering the weight and pressure of the concrete and water. After calculations, the resulting stresses at points A and B are -75.56 kN/m^2 and -14.44 kN/m^2 respectively.
ssar

Homework Statement

A small dam of triangular shape as shown is made from concrete. Find the stresses on the foundation at A and B. Assume concrete and water weighs 25kN/m^3 and 10kN/m^3
(All dimensions in the attached picture are in metres)
Q.JPG

Homework Equations

sigma = force/cross sectional area
bending stress = M.y/I (I'm thinking we might need to use this)
centroid of triangle is a 1/3 from the high side

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty much all over the place as I have no direction. So pretty much all that I've jotted down as just been ideas that lead nowhere.

I labeled the top of the dam as C

Area ABC = 6m^2
W (distributed loading for concrete) = 25 x 6 = 150kN/m

One idea I was told was to find the bending stress at point A and B, take I to be value of the dam, find the Max M of the dam and the value of centroids to be 1m for point B and 2m for point A.

I'm not too sure if my FBD is correct because I think it may be a fixed support but this is what my friend thinks it will look like. See below.

FBD.JPG

I just need the right direction or the right idea. I'm thinking that I have to try and convert those weights into a force, just not sure how to work out the force for the water.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force from the water per m is:
The integral of the pressure due to the water (from 0 to h)

Consider a 1 m length of wall (perpendicular to the page). Call it, say AA'BB'. The section you need to consider stresses on is that plan section AA'BB'. Then apply the equation for combined axial and bending stresses N/A +- M/Z

The Ma in your diagram. What value do you think it has?

Ok well I know it has been a while but we just had a tutorial on this topic and did a similar question so here's my attempt.

Here is the question
Question.JPG

http://yfrog.com/0fquestionzfj

Wc = weight of concrete
Ww = Weight of water
Pc = force of concrete
Pw = force of water
Fw = stress of water (i think)

Wc = 25kN/m^3

Density of water = 1000kg/m^3
Ww = 1000x9.81
= 9.81kN/m^3

Fw = 9.81 x 3.3 = 32.373 kN/m^2

Then since its a triangle, Pc acts 1/3 from the high side of 2.16m and assuming 1m wall perpendicular to the page.

Pc = 0.5*2.16*3.6*1*25 = 97.2 kN
Pw = 0.5*32.373*3.3*1 = 53.415 kN (in this line I was a bit confused as to why its you multiply it by 0.5)

Then consider cross section of the base where it looks like this
CSA.JPG

using Z = I/c

Z = (1/12*1*2.16^3)/1.08
= 0.7776m^3

SigmaA = -97.2/2.16 + 97.2*0.36/0.7776 - 53.415*1.1/0.7776
SigmaA = -75.56 kN/m^2

Similarly for SigmaB

SigmaB = -14.44 kN/m^2

I think the only value that I'm not sure about is my Fw/Pw. But how does that look?

This looks ok to me. In your comment "(in this line I was a bit confused as to why its you multiply it by 0.5)" the pressure distribution from the water is triangular with the maximum 32,373 at the bottom. So the factor of 0.5 is taking the AVERAGE pressure.

Oh ok, I kept confusing myself with it being a triangle or just being a rectangle. Thanks for the clarification.

1. What is the difference between stress and strain in mechanics of solids?

In mechanics of solids, stress refers to the force per unit area that a material experiences, while strain is the measure of the deformation or change in shape of a material due to stress. In simpler terms, stress is the cause and strain is the effect.

2. How do you calculate the Young's modulus of a material?

The Young's modulus, or the measure of a material's stiffness, can be calculated by dividing the stress by the strain. This can be represented by the equation E = σ/ε, where E is the Young's modulus, σ is the stress, and ε is the strain.

3. What is the difference between elastic and plastic deformation in mechanics of solids?

Elastic deformation is temporary and reversible, meaning that the material will return to its original shape once the applied force is removed. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, is permanent and non-reversible, causing a permanent change in the shape of the material.

4. What factors can affect the strength of a material in mechanics of solids?

The strength of a material in mechanics of solids can be affected by factors such as the material's composition, temperature, and the presence of defects or imperfections. Additionally, the type and magnitude of the applied force can also impact the strength of a material.

5. How does Hooke's Law relate to mechanics of solids?

Hooke's Law states that the strain of a material is directly proportional to the stress applied to it, as long as the material remains within its elastic limit. This law is used to describe the behavior of materials under small deformations in mechanics of solids.