Differential Geometry: Coordinate Patches

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to find the arc length of a u^1 curve using a coordinate patch x: U--->\Re^{3}. The individual is not sure how to write the arc length for a u^1 curve and is seeking help. They mention some knowledge about the metric tensor and its components, but are unsure how to use it to show that u^1 must be arc length. Any help is appreciated.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE
Sorry i wasnt able to get help in the homework department. figured id try here.

Homework Statement

For a coordinate patch x: U--->[tex]\Re^{3}[/tex]show that[tex]u^{1}[/tex]is arc length on the [tex]u^{1}[/tex] curves iff [tex]g_{11} \equiv 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know arc legth of a curve [tex]\alpha (t) = \frac{ds}{dt} = \sum g_{ij} \frac {d\alpha^{i}}{dt} \frac {d\alpha^{j}}{dt}[/tex] (well that's actually arclength squared but whatever).

But I am not sure how to write this for just a [tex]u^{1}[/tex] curve. A [tex]u^{1}[/tex] curve throught the point P= x(a,b) is [tex]\alpha(u^{1})= x(u^{1},b)[/tex]

But i have no idea how to find this arclength applies to u^1 curves.

Furthermore i know some stuff about our metric [tex]g_{ij}(u^{1}, u^{2})= <x_{i}(u^{1}, u^{2}), x_{j}(u^{1}, u^{2})[/tex]

But i do not know how to use that to show that u^1 must be arclength but here is what i have so far:

[tex]g_{11}(u^{1}, b)= <x_{1}(u^{1}, u^{2}), x_{2}(u^{1}, u^{2})>[/tex] We know that [tex]x_{1}= (1,0)[/tex] and that is as far as i got :/

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A curve tangent to a coordinate direction only has one metric tensor component that is not zero - I think.

1. What is a coordinate patch in differential geometry?

A coordinate patch is a subset of a manifold that can be parametrized by a set of coordinates such that the subset is mapped to a subset of Euclidean space. It is used to define smooth functions and calculate derivatives on the manifold.

2. How are coordinate patches used in differential geometry?

Coordinate patches are used to define smooth functions and calculate derivatives on a manifold. They allow for the application of concepts such as tangent space and curvature to a manifold, which are essential for understanding the geometry of the space.

3. What is the difference between a coordinate patch and a coordinate chart?

A coordinate patch is a subset of a manifold that is mapped to a subset of Euclidean space, while a coordinate chart is a collection of coordinate patches that cover the entire manifold. A coordinate patch is typically used to define a specific function, while a coordinate chart is used to define the entire structure of the manifold.

4. How do you determine the number of coordinates needed for a coordinate patch?

The number of coordinates needed for a coordinate patch depends on the dimension of the manifold. For example, a 2-dimensional manifold will require 2 coordinates (x and y), while a 3-dimensional manifold will require 3 coordinates (x, y, and z).

5. Can coordinate patches overlap on a manifold?

Yes, coordinate patches can overlap on a manifold. This allows for the smooth transition of coordinates between different patches and is necessary for defining a smooth structure on the manifold. However, it is important to ensure that the coordinate patches are compatible and do not lead to inconsistencies in the geometry of the manifold.