Lactose Intolerance: Symptoms, Causes, & Solutions

• Thread starter nucleargirl
  • Start date
In summary: Lactose intolerance is actually a pretty common problem, affecting about 20% of the population. It can be caused by a variety of things, including a food allergy, a gut disorder, or a mutation in the gene that controls lactase.In summary, this person is lactose intolerant, and they have symptoms such as bloating, gas, and an intolerance to milk products. It's possible to develop lactose intolerance as an adult, but it's a fairly common problem.
nucleargirl
Is anyone else lactose intolerant? What symptoms do you have? Is it possible to develop lactose intolerance as an adult?

Basically, I never used to have any problems with milk products... until recently! About a year ago I went through a phase of cutting out all milk products out of my diet for health reasons, and this lasted about 6 months. After which I decided to drink milk and eat cheese and everything again... but now I think I may be intolerant to milk products! I haven't figured out exactly what I am intolerant of... but I just drank a cup of hot chocolate 4 hours ago and now I don't feel so good! bloated... gassy... lol! yuk, sorry.

Biology news on Phys.org
Sounds like my situation. I still crave chocolate milk but i know it will end with an emergency stop or two to the rest room. Mine began around the age of 25 but I didnt quite get the hint for a year or two following.

nucleargirl said:
Is anyone else lactose intolerant? What symptoms do you have? Is it possible to develop lactose intolerance as an adult?

It's the other way around. The vast majority of adult mammals can't digest lactose, including the majority of adult humans.

You should ask why some are lactose tolerant. The reason for that being a mutation that stopped the inactivation of lactase (the lactose-metabolizing enzyme) production in adults. This mutation occurred some time on the order of thousands of years ago, somewhere in northern Europe. (The highest rates of lactose tolerance in the world are in Scandinavia) It's a dominant trait, so it's been spreading since. So today, the majority of Europeans and North Americans are lactose tolerant. But like all mammals, until very recently in our evolutionary history, and only in some parts of the world, becoming lactose intolerant as you grow older is completely normal. (Because you don't breast-feed as an adult)

(Note that it's of course not a binary distinction between tolerant and intolerant either; people have different levels of tolerance. The gassy/bloatedness you describe is the most typical symptom for those who have it.)

alxm said:
It's the other way around. The vast majority of adult mammals can't digest lactose, including the majority of adult humans.

You should ask why some are lactose tolerant. The reason for that being a mutation that stopped the inactivation of lactase (the lactose-metabolizing enzyme) production in adults. This mutation occurred some time on the order of thousands of years ago, somewhere in northern Europe. (The highest rates of lactose tolerance in the world are in Scandinavia) It's a dominant trait, so it's been spreading since. So today, the majority of Europeans and North Americans are lactose tolerant. But like all mammals, until very recently in our evolutionary history, and only in some parts of the world, becoming lactose intolerant as you grow older is completely normal. (Because you don't breast-feed as an adult)

(Note that it's of course not a binary distinction between tolerant and intolerant either; people have different levels of tolerance. The gassy/bloatedness you describe is the most typical symptom for those who have it.)

Very true, and when you consider that in most cultures (no pun) the majority of dairy is eaten in the form of cheese or yogurt-like products, the consumption of raw milk is even more... out there. In addition to the GI symptoms, some people with allergies find that milk and unaged cheeses increase the volume and viscosity of phlegm... so the "far from binary" is completely accurate description.

man, this sucks! I like drinking milk! I didnt quite believe it before, but I guess all the symptoms point to it. but hey, I'm ok now - 8 hours after drinking milk I'm fine again. maybe its all digested now :)

nismaratwork said:
Very true, and when you consider that in most cultures (no pun) the majority of dairy is eaten in the form of cheese or yogurt-like products, the consumption of raw milk is even more... out there.

Yup, it's a fun observation. The biggest milk-drinkers in the world are the Nordic peoples, but once you get down the the Balkans, it's all yogurt and cheese. Continue in the same direction to the Middle East, and cow's milk isn't used for anything anymore, it's all goat or sheep's milk - which has a lower lactose content. Once you get to Southeast Asia, there's virtually no dairy at all, nor lactose tolerance. Evolution and genetics plays a part in our cuisine!

(Edit: It also occurred to me that you likely have culture affecting the evolution of this trait as well: Since there's obviously not much benefit to being lactose tolerant if you don't have animal husbandry. More people would probably get killed trying to milk wild animals than would survive off the milk :smile:)

nucleargirl said:
man, this sucks! I like drinking milk!

Well, you don't necessarily have to give it up. There's low-lactose milk you can buy, which is okay unless you have a very low tolerance. And you can buy pills with the lactase enzyme, which will give you a temporary tolerance.

Last edited:
alxm said:
Well, you don't necessarily have to give it up. There's low-lactose milk you can buy, which is okay unless you have a very low tolerance. And you can buy pills with the lactase enzyme, which will give you a temporary tolerance.

No! I am going to defy my body and genetics! I made my body intolerant, I WILL make it tolerant again! I'm going to drink milk! all the time! see who's the boss!

in fact, I am eating cream right now!

on a more serious note - yoghurt and cheese? are the lactose gone in those products? what about cooked milk? and cream?

One of the other reasons our ancestors weren't feasting on fresh milk products was no refrigeration.

nucleargirl said:
on a more serious note - yoghurt and cheese? are the lactose gone in those products?

Lactose was oxidized to lactic acid.

nucleargirl said:
on a more serious note - yoghurt and cheese? are the lactose gone in those products? what about cooked milk? and cream?
wikipedia to the rescue.

Dairy products
Lactose is a water-soluble molecule. Therefore fat percentage and the curdling process have an impact on which foods may be tolerated. After the curdling process, lactose is found in the water portion (along with whey and casein) but is not found in the fat portion. Dairy products which are "fat reduced" or "fat free" generally have a slightly higher lactose percentage. Additionally, low fat dairy foods also often have various dairy derivatives such as milk solids added to them to enhance sweetness, increasing the lactose content.

Milk. Human milk has the highest lactose percentage at around 9%. Unprocessed cow milk has 4.7% lactose. Unprocessed milk from other bovids contains similar lactose percentages (goat milk 4.1%,[51] buffalo 4.86%,[52] yak 4.93%,[53] sheep milk 4.6%)

Butter. The butter-making process separates the majority of milk's water components from the fat components. Lactose, being a water soluble molecule, will still be present in small quantities in the butter unless it is also fermented to produce cultured butter.

Yogurt, Frozen Yogurt and kefir. People can be more tolerant of traditionally made yogurt than milk, because it contains lactase enzyme produced by the bacterial cultures used to make the yogurt. Frozen yogurt, if cultured similarly to its unfrozen counterpart, will contain similarly reduced lactose levels. However, many commercial brands contain milk solids, increasing the lactose content.[54]

Cheeses. Traditionally made hard cheese (such as Emmental) and soft ripened cheeses may create less reaction than the equivalent amount of milk because of the processes involved. Fermentation and higher fat content contribute to lesser amounts of lactose. Traditionally made Emmental or Cheddar might contain 10% of the lactose found in whole milk. In addition, the traditional aging methods of cheese (over 2 years) reduces their lactose content to practically nothing. [55] Commercial cheese brands, however, are generally manufactured by modern processes that do not have the same lactose reducing properties, and as no regulations mandate what qualifies as an "aged" cheese, this description does not provide any indication of whether the process used significantly reduced lactose.

Sour cream if made in the traditional way, may be tolerable, but most modern brands add milk solids. Consult labels.[56]

Examples of lactose levels in foods. As scientific consensus has not been reached concerning lactose percentage analysis methods [57] (non-hydrated form or the mono-hydrated form), and considering that dairy content varies greatly according to labeling practices, geography and manufacturing processes, lactose numbers may not be very reliable. The following are examples of lactose levels in foods which commonly set off symptoms. These quantities are to be treated as guidelines only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

Borek said:

Mmmm... tart... tastey... god I love yogurt and aged cheese. :approve:

nucleargirl said:
No! I am going to defy my body and genetics! I made my body intolerant, I WILL make it tolerant again! I'm going to drink milk! all the time! see who's the boss!

Glad I am not around for the aftermath of this little experiment...

madcat8000 said:
Glad I am not around for the aftermath of this little experiment...
Clear the path to the bathroom!

Defying your own genetics... I think that needs to be added to the list of famous last words. :biggrin:

lol. awww thanks you guys!

Borek said:

yes! this totally makes sense! - yoghurt is sour and some cheese has a sharp taste!

ok, I will do the experiment (in the privacy of my room) and let you guys know of any progress!

nucleargirl said:
ok, I will do the experiment (in the privacy of my room) and let you guys know of any progress!

Heh... good luck, and um... wear diapers. :wink:

nucleargirl said:

There's just too much intolerance today, and I think we should all work to become more tolerant. Best of luck, nucleargirl, I'm glad you're going above and beyond, trying to make the world a better place.

:tongue2:

lisab said:
There's just too much intolerance today, and I think we should all work to become more tolerant. Best of luck, nucleargirl, I'm glad you're going above and beyond, trying to make the world a better place.

:tongue2:

I agree Lisa! I think we should ALL do this! lol... wouldn't that be a funny... smelling world...

by the way I'm currently unemployed, so its ok for me to do this... I wouldn't recommend to start experimenting at work... let's just say, day 1 - no improvement yet...

nucleargirl said:
by the way I'm currently unemployed, so its ok for me to do this... I wouldn't recommend to start experimenting at work... let's just say, day 1 - no improvement yet...

You know... this may not be the best idea... *wince*

Look at this website for great nutritional information.
They explain the many health benefits of raw milk. One interesting thing is that many lactose intolerant people can apparently handle raw milk products.

Last edited by a moderator:
stevenstritt said:
Look at this website for great nutritional information.They explain the many health benefits of raw milk. One interesting thing is that many lactose intolerant people can apparently handle raw milk products.

You mean the foundation based on the theories of a 19th century "holistic dentist?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_Price

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/holisticdent.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_A._Price_Foundation

John Robbins has written a critique in which he reviews the history of the Weston Price Foundation and provides evidence that Weston Price had recommended a vegetarian and dairy diet to his own family members as the healthiest diet (contrary to the position of the Price Foundation which recommends animal products).[20] The anti-vegetarian and anti-soy views of the foundation have also been criticized and countered in several publications.[21][22][23] Joel Fuhrman MD wrote a series of articles entitled "The truth about the Weston Price Foundation" in which he argues the Foundation is a purveyor of "nutritional myths".[24][25][26][27]

Give me a break, this is pure ****, and not fit for PF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad your colon isn't unemployed right now lol. Heh be careful or it might go on a work stoppage. Ah what fertile soil for jokes. Heh I said soil...

Neways besure that you keep us updated nucleargirl!

Never has the name "NUCLEARgirl" been so ironic... make sure to avoid the fallout.

hahaha... Dont worry, I have opened all the windows so I don't suffocate from the... explosions.

nucleargirl said:
hahaha... Dont worry, I have opened all the windows so I don't suffocate from the... explosions.
And how are you handling the bloating? My sister-in-law gets really cramped up along with the bloating, and has had to switch to soy substitutes, etc. During holiday family pot-lucks she sometimes only eats dishes that either she or my wife brings, just to be on the safe side.

There is no need to completely avoid milk products if you are lactose intolerant. You may not even need to avoid them at all if you follow the advice below, it's not an allergy.

How is lactose intolerance managed?
Although the body’s ability to produce lactase cannot be changed, the symptoms of lactose intolerance can be managed with dietary changes. Most people with lactose intolerance can tolerate some amount of lactose in their diet. Gradually introducing small amounts of milk or milk products may help some people adapt to them with fewer symptoms. Often, people can better tolerate milk or milk products by taking them with meals.

The amount of change needed in the diet depends on how much lactose a person can consume without symptoms. For example, one person may have severe symptoms after drinking a small glass of milk, while another can drink a large glass without symptoms. Others can easily consume yogurt and hard cheeses such as cheddar and Swiss but not milk or other milk products.

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 recommend that people with lactose intolerance choose milk products with lower levels of lactose than regular milk, such as yogurt and hard cheese.

Lactose-free and lactose-reduced milk and milk products, available at most supermarkets, are identical to regular milk except that the lactase enzyme has been added. Lactose-free milk remains fresh for about the same length of time or longer than regular milk if it is ultra-pasteurized. Lactose-free milk may have a slightly sweeter taste than regular milk. Soy milk and other products may be recommended by a health professional.

People who still experience symptoms after dietary changes can take over-the-counter lactase enzyme drops or tablets. Taking the tablets or a few drops of the liquid enzyme when consuming milk or milk products may make these foods more tolerable for people with lactose intolerance.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/lactoseintolerance/

turbo-1 said:
And how are you handling the bloating? My sister-in-law gets really cramped up along with the bloating, and has had to switch to soy substitutes, etc. During holiday family pot-lucks she sometimes only eats dishes that either she or my wife brings, just to be on the safe side.

yeah, I think I don't have it as bad as other people - I don't get cramps... it kind of just moves along... so it starts about 3-4 hours after drinking milk, and its all gone by around 8 hours after comsumption.

Day 2 update: Man, today was a double whammy! Had beans on toast AND a glass of milk for lunch! lol! but somehow I think they canceled each other out in my stomach so the after effects were not too bad at all :)

thanks Evo! that's a good link.

nucleargirl said:
yeah, I think I don't have it as bad as other people - I don't get cramps... it kind of just moves along... so it starts about 3-4 hours after drinking milk, and its all gone by around 8 hours after comsumption.

Day 2 update: Man, today was a double whammy! Had beans on toast AND a glass of milk for lunch! lol! but somehow I think they canceled each other out in my stomach so the after effects were not too bad at all :)

Beans on toast? Are you British?

:tongue2: :wink:

lisab said:
Beans on toast? Are you British?

:tongue2: :wink:
That's my father's dream breakfast. My home-made baked beans on toast. His gout keeps him from indulging too much, though.