PGRE: Exam Evolution 1986-Present

In summary, the ETS released exams have been administered since 1986. While the style and content may have changed slightly over the years, the newer exams from 1996 and 2001 are most similar to the current exams. It is still beneficial to work through the older exams for preparation, but the 2001 exam is a good indicator of the difficulty of the current test. Some have reported that the tests became significantly harder in the early 1990s, but the difficulty level has remained consistent in recent years.
hochenergie
The ETS released exams date back to 86. Have the exams changed much in style or content throughout the years? Surely, the older exams are worth working through, but are the "newer'' exams like 96 or 01 more like the exams administered in the past few years?

Physics news on Phys.org
probably

I took the PGRE in October 2009 and it was very similar to the 2001 exam in content and difficulty.

The 2001 exam is most like today's PGRE's

The others should still be used as material for prep, but use 2001 to gauge the difficulty of the current test. The older ones are, on average, harder.

I have been told that the tests got much harder in the early 1990's. One thing I remember when I took the PGRE's with the very rude shock that I got when the test was much, much harder than any of the practice tests.

I took the PGRE 2-3 years ago, and I really didn't notice any difference in difficulty between the practice exams and the one I took. After getting my test-taking skills in order after the first practice exam (just skip the question if you don't know it cold, don't look for your error if your answer isn't one of the options, etc.), I scored roughly the same on all of them.

1. What is the PGRE exam and why is it important?

The PGRE (Physics GRE) exam is a standardized test used by many graduate programs in physics to assess the knowledge and skills of applicants. It covers a wide range of topics in physics and is an important factor in graduate school admissions decisions.

2. How has the PGRE exam evolved over time?

The PGRE exam has changed significantly since it was first introduced in 1986. The content, format, and scoring have all undergone revisions to better reflect the current state of physics and to improve the testing experience for students.

3. What topics are covered on the PGRE exam?

The PGRE exam covers a broad range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and modern physics. It also includes a section on mathematical methods in physics.

4. How can I prepare for the PGRE exam?

There are many resources available to help students prepare for the PGRE exam, including study guides, practice tests, and review courses. It is important to start studying early and to focus on understanding the fundamental concepts rather than just memorizing equations.

5. How important is the PGRE exam in the graduate school admissions process?

The importance of the PGRE exam varies among different graduate programs, but it is generally considered a significant factor in admissions decisions. A high score can help strengthen an application, while a low score may raise concerns about a student's preparation for graduate-level physics coursework.