MOND paper says Bullet Cluster poses problems for Lambda-CDM

In summary, the authors of this paper say that the Bullet Cluster, which is a problem for the Lamda-CDM model as it conflicts with the predictions of the model, is also a problem for MOND.
hadsed
I was reading a recent paper on arXiv.org on a novel simulation of MOND, and surprisingly they addressed the Bullet Cluster, which I guess is one of the more serious problems for MOND. What was even more surprising was that they said this posed a problem for Lamda-CDM models as well. Here is the quote:

Perhaps the most prominent example of a cluster with a serious residual discrepancy in MOND is the bullet cluster [29]. In this system, the gravitational lensing of background galaxies indicates that the mass is offset from the X-ray plasma. This is the same residual mass discrepancy that is seen in all rich clusters. While the bullet cluster is frequently cited as evidence against MOND, it is also problematic for ΛCDM. The sub-clusters that compose the bullet cluster collided at a remarkably high velocity (∼ 4700 km s−1). This is exceedingly unlikely in ΛCDM, occurring with a probability of only a few parts in a billion [30]. In contrast, such high collision velocities are natural to MOND [31]. Taken at face value, the bullet cluster would seem to simultaneously support and falsify both theories with equal vigo

Page 3, third to last paragraph in this paper: http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1102/1102.3913v1.pdf

Can someone explain what exactly the problem is? I was under the assumption that the Bullet Cluster was explained pretty well by dark matter.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
That 4700 km/s is the shock velocity and is not the velocity of the subcluster. The shock velocity measures the relative velocity of the intracluster medium involved in the collision -- the "ambient" medium ahead of the shock also has some velocity component (around 1000 km/s towards the shock). Springel et al. http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0703232v2" showed that the subcluster velocity is more likely to be ~2600km/s.

Also, I think they have not understood what was done in the Jee & Komatsu paper they cite, which also has problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
The General Argument:
The dynamics of the bullet cluster clearly show a discrepancy between the majority of the mass (interpreted as dark matter) and the majority of the observable material (gas and light). MOND (to my knowledge) has no way of interpreting or explaining this.

This quotation:
Is discussing something completely different than what's usually discussed. This argument is suggesting that the collision itself shouldn't have taken place in Lambda-CDM, but is natural in MOND (I don't see why that would be the case).

1) The fundamental issue remains, which I don't think MOND can explain (or even address---as exemplified by the author's deferral of the issue).2) I'm very dubious of their statistics here... presumably they're using some velocity distribution of clusters and finding the probability that these will collide at said velocity. This wouldn't take into account the (entirely unknown) evolutionary history of the clusters or that region of the universe.
*** EDIT: See @Matt.o above for a more educated analysis of this point ***

1. What is MOND?

MOND (Modified Newtonian Dynamics) is an alternative theory of gravity proposed as a replacement for dark matter in explaining the observed rotational speeds of galaxies.

2. What is Lambda-CDM?

Lambda-CDM (Lambda-Cold Dark Matter) is the current standard model of cosmology, which includes dark matter and dark energy as the dominant components of the universe.

3. What is the Bullet Cluster?

The Bullet Cluster is a galaxy cluster located in the constellation Carina, which is known for its high-speed collision of two subclusters that resulted in the separation of visible matter from dark matter.

4. How does the MOND paper challenge the Lambda-CDM model?

The MOND paper argues that the observed separation of visible and dark matter in the Bullet Cluster is not consistent with the predictions of the Lambda-CDM model, which suggests that dark matter should be self-interacting and therefore remain closely associated with visible matter during collisions.

5. What are the implications of the MOND paper for our understanding of the universe?

The MOND paper raises questions about the validity of the Lambda-CDM model and the role of dark matter in the universe. It suggests that alternative theories, such as MOND, may need to be considered and further research is needed to fully understand the nature of dark matter.