Time division multiplexing for analogue signal

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of implementing TDM for a 1 GHz signal in an OFDM system. The theoretical and MATLAB perspectives are also requested. The response suggests using GMSK for digital modulation and explains that FDM can be used to multiplex signals at different carrier frequencies. However, it is not recommended from a scientific standpoint.
thavamaran
Hi guys, I am designing an OFDM system and then upconverted at 1 GHz. Now I have an idea of implementing TDM for this 1 GHz signal.

Is it possible, please explain from theoretical point of view and if possible, please help from MATLAB perspective.

Thank you very much,

Engineering news on Phys.org
i think that if you mean by TDM gsm system "for example" then its easy.
but not good from science point of view as you have just created new spectrum for gsm or ay TDM system.
any way in MATLAB use acarrier and multiply it with your modulated data by GMSK.
good luck

Hi there, thanks for your reply. But GMSK is for digital modulation. After upconverting my signal to 1 GHz, it will be analogue then.

For an instance, say I have a signal with carrier frequency of 1 GHz and 1.2 GHz, can I use FDM to multiplex them?

Thank you!

1. What is time division multiplexing (TDM)?

Time division multiplexing is a technique used to transmit multiple signals over a single channel by dividing the channel into smaller time slots. Each signal is assigned a specific time slot and the signals are transmitted sequentially. This allows for multiple signals to be transmitted simultaneously over the same medium, increasing the efficiency of the transmission.

2. How does TDM work for analogue signals?

In TDM for analogue signals, the original analogue signal is sampled and digitized. The digitized samples are then transmitted in a sequential manner, with each sample occupying a specific time slot. At the receiving end, the samples are reconstructed into the original analogue signal.

3. What are the advantages of using TDM for analogue signals?

One of the main advantages of TDM for analogue signals is its ability to transmit multiple signals over a single channel, maximizing the use of the transmission medium. It also eliminates the need for multiple dedicated channels, reducing costs and complexity. Additionally, TDM provides a consistent transmission rate, reducing jitter and improving overall signal quality.

4. Are there any limitations to using TDM for analogue signals?

One limitation of TDM for analogue signals is that the quality of the reconstructed signal may be affected by noise and interference during transmission. Additionally, there is a limit to the number of signals that can be transmitted using TDM, as the number of time slots available is limited.

5. How is TDM different from frequency division multiplexing (FDM)?

In TDM, multiple signals are transmitted sequentially over the same channel by dividing it into smaller time slots. In FDM, multiple signals are transmitted simultaneously over the same channel by dividing it into different frequency bands. TDM is more suitable for digital signals, while FDM is more commonly used for analogue signals.