Exploring the Waters with Jeremy Wade: A Subliminal Warning?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, Jeremy Wade is an expert summarizer of content. He does not respond or reply to questions. He only provides a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary.
zoobyshoe
Obsessed but dignified British gent travels the world pulling oversized, dangerous fish out of remote rivers, gawks at their sharp! pointy! teeth!, then releases them.

These fish are huge and they're killers and maimers of people. (In some school of psychology, bodies of water, symbolically, are alleged to represent a person's sexuality. That would render the whole series to be a kind of subliminal warning against the dangers of STD's. That comes to mind because, indeed, some of the fish he deals with actually literally attack people's genitals.)

rivermonsters.jpg

I find myself watching episodes of this odd show over and over (they're repeated often on Animal Planet). After a while I figured out the appeal is not the grotesque fish we are introduced to, but the interesting demeanor of the show's host, Jeremy Wade. He is a kinder, gentler Ahab: determined to catch the monster, but equally afraid of stressing it out too much before he let's it go. Unlike, say, crocodile hunter Steve Irwin, Jeremy Wade is understated, shy, and speaks in a hypnotically soothing tone about this weeks target monster. Whenever the camera does a close up of his face we notice he, himself, has a rather scary set of teeth, which makes me wonder if he's actually fishing for monsters or rousting out reclusive relatives.

On a side note, I noticed that one week he caught a Tiger Fish in the Congo, in another episode he caught a huge Cat Fish in India, and yet another week he caught a Wolf Fish in South America. That lead me to the observation that fish, more than any other creature, seem to suffer from being named after other animals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent post zoob.

zoobyshoe said:
That lead me to the observation that fish, more than any other creature, seem to suffer from being named after other animals.
Or vice versa. After a send up like that, I'll be sure to look out for the show.

Well allow me to pass along the name of a congressman. My offering for this fish would not be an hors d'œuvre only but a banquet and left overs for months! :tongue2:

Holy Cr*p that really IS a monster!

Evo said:
Excellent post zoob.
That means a lot to me, because, I swear, I wrote this essay myself and didn't buy it on the internet.
Jimmy Snyder said:
Or vice versa. After a send up like that, I'll be sure to look out for the show.
Especially sharks, for some reason. I can think of: Bull Shark, Tiger Shark, Leopard Shark, Whale Shark, and Salmon Shark, the last being an interesting case of one fish named after another.

I am surprised more people here don't seem to watch it. My experience in real life is that it has quite a following.
Lacy33 said:
Well allow me to pass along the name of a congressman. My offering for this fish would not be an hors d'œuvre only but a banquet and left overs for months! :tongue2:
Large fellow, eh?
mayhem7 said:
Holy Cr*p that really IS a monster!
That is the African Goliath Tiger Fish. Occasionally it attacks people cooling off in the river. Seems to be attracted to the shiney bangles the locals wear.

zoobyshoe said:
That means a lot to me, because, I swear, I wrote this essay myself and didn't buy it on the internet.
Seems like Jimmy has competition for one line zingers now, for awhile there it was between Lisab and Jimmy, now there is a three way race... hehe...

zoobyshoe said:
Especially sharks, for some reason. I can think of: Bull Shark, Tiger Shark, Leopard Shark, Whale Shark, and Salmon Shark, the last being an interesting case of one fish named after another.

I am surprised more people here don't seem to watch it. My experience in real life is that it has quite a following.
I haved watched the show a few times, can never get over of the majesty of a http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...0l11l10l0l2l2l0l313l1266l0.1.3.1&safe=active"... It's beauty and gentleness for such a huge creature blows me away.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Exploring the Waters with Jeremy Wade: A Subliminal Warning" about?

"Exploring the Waters with Jeremy Wade: A Subliminal Warning" is a television series that follows biologist and angler Jeremy Wade as he investigates and catches some of the world's most elusive and dangerous underwater creatures. The show also explores the impact of human activities on these creatures and their habitats.

2. Who is Jeremy Wade?

Jeremy Wade is a British biologist, television presenter, and author. He is best known for his television series "River Monsters" and "Dark Waters" in which he travels to different parts of the world to catch and study freshwater and saltwater fish species.

3. Is "Exploring the Waters with Jeremy Wade: A Subliminal Warning" based on real events?

Yes, the show is based on real events and locations. Jeremy Wade and his team travel to different parts of the world and encounter real, dangerous creatures in their natural habitats. The show also highlights the real-life threats that these creatures face due to human activities.

4. What makes this show unique compared to other nature shows?

"Exploring the Waters with Jeremy Wade: A Subliminal Warning" stands out from other nature shows because it not only showcases the beauty and diversity of underwater life, but also sheds light on the importance of conservation and the impact of human actions on these creatures and their habitats.

5. Where can I watch "Exploring the Waters with Jeremy Wade: A Subliminal Warning"?

The show is currently available for streaming on Animal Planet and Discovery+. You can also purchase episodes or the entire series on platforms such as Amazon Prime Video and iTunes.