Is Rank(A) Equal to Trace(AA*) and When Does AB-BA=I Hold?

• Thread starter arthurhenry
  • Start date
In summary, the statement "Rank(A)=Trace(AA*)" is not true in general. And there are no matrices A and B such that AB-BA=I, regardless of the field.
arthurhenry
Rank(A)= Trace(AA*) ??

I have two questions and I hope it is acceptable...Seemingly unrelated, though I came to wonder about the first while thinking the second. Thanks

1)Is this statement true? or is there a statement that relates Rank(A) and Trace(??)

2) AB-BA=I (When does this identity hold if at all? Field can be closed or Z/Z2, or etc)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi arthurhenry! :smile:

The first one is not true. It is true that Rank(A)=Rank(AA*). But it isn't in general true that Rank(AA*)=Trace(AA*). For example, take

[tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 2 & 0\\ 0 & 2\\ \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Then AA* has rank 2, but the trace is 8.

The second one is not true too. Take A the zero matrix and B an arbitrary matrix.

Perhaps I was not clear, I will phrase it correctly:

2)Does there exist matrices A and B such that AB-BA=I holds?

In particular, what is the answer to the question in the case the field is Complex NUmbers and in the case the field is Z/Z2 ?

1) Is rank(A) equal to Trace(A*A) ?

not "is the rank(A*A) equal to Trace (A*A)?" As you have pointed out this one is definittely incorrect.

arthurhenry said:
Perhaps I was not clear, I will phrase it correctly:

2)Does there exist matrices A and B such that AB-BA=I holds?

In particular, what is the answer to the question in the case the field is Complex NUmbers and in the case the field is Z/Z2 ?

Well, try it yourself. Take general 2x2-matrices and calculate AB-BA. Then solve the system to see whether they can equal I...

1) Is rank(A) equal to Trace(A*A) ?

not "is the rank(A*A) equal to Trace (A*A)?" As you have pointed out this one is definittely incorrect.

We have that rank(A)=rank(A*A), so the same example applies.

1) The statement "Rank(A) = Trace(AA*)" is not necessarily true. The trace of a matrix is the sum of its eigenvalues, while the rank is the number of linearly independent columns (or rows) in the matrix. These two quantities are not directly related, so there is no statement that can relate them in general.

2) The identity AB-BA = I holds when A and B are inverse matrices. This means that AB = BA = I, and this can only happen if A and B are square matrices with non-zero determinants. Over the field of real or complex numbers, this can happen for any size of square matrices. However, over other fields such as Z/Z2, this may not hold for all sizes of square matrices.

1. What is the definition of "Rank(A)= Trace(AA*)?"

Rank(A)= Trace(AA*) is a mathematical formula used to determine the rank of a matrix A. The rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. The trace of a matrix is the sum of the elements on the main diagonal. Therefore, the formula Rank(A)= Trace(AA*) calculates the rank of a matrix by squaring the matrix, taking the trace, and then comparing it to the original matrix.

2. How is "Rank(A)= Trace(AA*)" used in scientific research?

Rank(A)= Trace(AA*) is commonly used in scientific research as a tool for analyzing and understanding data. It is used to determine the dimensionality of data and identify relationships between variables. It is also used in fields such as physics and engineering to solve systems of equations and understand the behavior of complex systems.

3. What does "Rank(A)= Trace(AA*)" tell us about a matrix?

Rank(A)= Trace(AA*) provides information about the linear independence of the rows or columns in a matrix. A higher rank indicates a greater number of linearly independent rows or columns, while a lower rank suggests linear dependence. This information is useful in determining the number of solutions to a system of equations, as well as the dimensionality and complexity of a system.

4. Can "Rank(A)= Trace(AA*)" be used for any type of matrix?

Yes, Rank(A)= Trace(AA*) can be used for any type of matrix, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, and complex matrices. However, it is important to note that the formula only applies to matrices with real or complex entries. It cannot be used for matrices with elements that are vectors or functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Rank(A)= Trace(AA*)?"

While Rank(A)= Trace(AA*) is a useful tool for analyzing matrices, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it cannot be used for matrices with non-square dimensions. Additionally, it may not provide accurate results for matrices with large or very small values, as rounding errors can affect the accuracy of the trace calculation. It is important to carefully consider the limitations and assumptions of Rank(A)= Trace(AA*) when using it in scientific research.