Can Physics Forums addiction be cured?

• Thread starter dekoi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the addiction to Physics Forums and the lack of a known cure for it. The participants discuss their personal experiences and jokes about their dependence on the forum, with one suggesting a way to inject it into one's bloodstream. Despite the humorous tone, the underlying theme is the strong interest and passion for the subject matter that brings them to the forum.
dekoi
I am addicted to Physics Forums.

Is there a known cure for this -- perhaps good -- disease?

Perhaps i should get a life... :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, no known cure, but we have a large support group :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Nope, no known cure, but we have a large support group :biggrin:

:rolleyes:

Hi. My name's Jonathan, and I have a problem.

(everyone in unison) "Hi Jonathan."

Hi Jonathan.

Share please.

PF is such an addiction. All I can think about is doing school work and nothing but that. Damn, you PF for making me want to be a nerd!

Wait, a minute. I was already like that.

A cure for your disease:
Just hit your head to the monitor and then stretch your hair.
It will work.

Just because I visit this page everytime I get online, 16-25 times a day and go through withdrawls if away for more than 24 hours. That doesn't mean I'm addicted. I'm sure lots of people wake up in the middle of the night to pee and on the way back to bed stop to see if anyone has responded to their latest post. I'm sure lots of people begin 85% of their conversations, "On PhysicsForums the other day I..."

tribdog said:
Just because I visit this page everytime I get online, 16-25 times a day and go through withdrawls if away for more than 24 hours. That doesn't mean I'm addicted. I'm sure lots of people wake up in the middle of the night to pee and on the way back to bed stop to see if anyone has responded to their latest post. I'm sure lots of people begin 85% of their conversations, "On PhysicsForums the other day I..."

That's just someone who is interested in something. A hobby. Not an addiction. Oh no. Not an addiction.

although I have gotten really strung out and started going up to strangers begging for a handout.
"Cmon man, please. Just 5 minutes is all I need. Let me us your laptop for just 5 minutes."

tribdog said:
although I have gotten really strung out and started going up to strangers begging for a handout.
"Cmon man, please. Just 5 minutes is all I need. Let me us your laptop for just 5 minutes."

I've come very close to doing that. When I had a vacation at the beach, I tried to use AOL to log on, but it took so damn long to log on and when I finally did it would always cut me off after about five minutes. That nearly kept me from going into withdrawals.

I found a way of injecting PF into your bloodstream. Will cost you though!

jimmy p said:
I found a way of injecting PF into your bloodstream. Will cost you though!

I tried the PF patch, but it didn't work worth a darn. Gave me a rash, too. :grumpy:

I was going to tell you this in private, but the rash isn't from the patch. I've got some lotion that'll clear it up though.

tribdog said:
I'm sure lots of people begin 85% of their conversations, "On PhysicsForums the other day I..."

Aahh I actually said the quoted phrase to a person a few days ago. I feel like such a nerd :shy: .

1. Can Physics Forums addiction be considered a real addiction?

Yes, it can be considered a real addiction. Addiction is defined as a compulsive behavior that negatively affects an individual's life and causes them to continue engaging in the behavior despite negative consequences. If an individual is spending excessive amounts of time on Physics Forums and neglecting other important aspects of their life, it can be classified as an addiction.

2. What are the potential consequences of being addicted to Physics Forums?

The potential consequences of being addicted to Physics Forums can vary from person to person, but some common consequences may include neglecting responsibilities, social isolation, decreased productivity, and strain on personal relationships. Additionally, excessive screen time can lead to physical health problems such as eye strain and disrupted sleep patterns.

3. Is there a specific age group or demographic that is more prone to developing a Physics Forums addiction?

There is no specific age group or demographic that is more prone to developing a Physics Forums addiction. It can affect anyone who spends excessive amounts of time on the forum and becomes dependent on it for social interaction, validation, or escape from reality.

4. Can Physics Forums addiction be treated?

Yes, Physics Forums addiction can be treated. Treatment may involve therapy, behavior modification techniques, and finding healthier ways to cope with stress or boredom. It is important for individuals to acknowledge their addiction and seek help in order to overcome it.

5. How can one prevent themselves from becoming addicted to Physics Forums?

To prevent yourself from becoming addicted to Physics Forums, it is important to set limits on your screen time and prioritize other activities in your life. Engage in hobbies, spend time with friends and family, and take breaks from technology. It is also helpful to be aware of your own behaviors and recognize when your usage of Physics Forums is becoming excessive or interfering with other aspects of your life.