Constructing an Egg Drop: Get Help Here

In summary, the conversation is about a student needing help with an egg drop project where the egg has to be dropped from 25 meters and protected by specific materials including a latex glove, newspaper, rubber bands, string, a zip lock bag, masking tape, toothpicks, and glue. The student is only allowed to use one of the following additional materials: wire coat hanger, plastic coffee can lid, small washers, a piece of cardboard, packing peanuts, straws, or toilet paper rolls. The egg must be raw and a parachute is not allowed. The student is seeking advice on the best approach for constructing the project.
Amandalynn
Egg Drop Project Help!

I have to make a egg drop from approximately 25 meters. The egg has to be directly covered by:
1 latex glove
3 pieces of newspaper
2 rubber bands
1 piece of string (30cm)
1 zip lock bag
12 inches masking tape
100 tooth picks
glue only to connect bits and pieces.

We can only use ONE of the following-
Wire coat hanger
Plastic coffee can lid
Small Washers-no more than 20
1 piece of cardboard
10 packing peanuts
10 straws
3 toilet paper rolls(the brown thing in the center)

Alright, the egg has to be raw, we can not use a parachute and I need a good grade on this to save my grade in the class.

What do you think would be the best idea for the construction of this?

Physics news on Phys.org

How big a piece of cardboard?

1. What materials do I need for an egg drop?

For an egg drop, you will need an egg, some sort of container (such as a plastic bag or cardboard box), padding materials (such as bubble wrap or foam), and tape or glue to secure everything together.

2. What is the best design for an egg drop?

There is no one "best" design for an egg drop, as it ultimately depends on the specific materials and resources you have available. However, some common designs include using a parachute, creating a crumple zone, or building a cushioned landing area.

3. How can I prevent my egg from breaking?

To prevent your egg from breaking, it is important to focus on shock absorption. This can be achieved by using materials with high shock-absorbing properties, such as foam or cotton balls. Additionally, try to evenly distribute the forces on the egg by creating a well-padded landing area.

4. Can I use any type of egg for an egg drop?

Yes, you can use any type of egg for an egg drop, as long as it is not already cracked. Most people tend to use chicken eggs, but you can also use duck, quail, or even ostrich eggs.

5. How can I make my egg drop more challenging?

If you want to make your egg drop more challenging, you can try increasing the height from which you drop the egg or limiting the materials you can use. You can also add extra constraints, such as having a time limit or incorporating a specific theme into your design.