Only rotating bodies have angular momentum

In summary: In this case, the moving ball must have had initial angular momentum, because at the end, the door acquired angular momentum when it rotated about its hinged end; since angular momentum is conserved when there are no external torques (and there are no external torques in this example), the ball had initial angular momentum.
sinjan.j
Only rotating bodies have angular momentum?

Is this statement false?

I had read it somewhere that it is false that only rotating bodies have angular momentum,

angular momentum = moment of inertia * angular velocity.

Both deal with rotation. so how is the above statement false?

Physics news on Phys.org
sinjan.j said:
Only rotating bodies have angular momentum?

Is this statement false?

I think you can make it true or false, according to how you define 'rotating bodies'.

Yeah even I thought about that point. I just can't think of any other.

sinjan.j said:
Both deal with rotation. so how is the above statement false?
Consider a point mass moving with momentum p. If its position vector is r, then its angular momentum about the origin is L = r X p. (r, p, and L are vectors) Nothing is rotating.

I just found out another answer. And I think this was what I was looking for. Thank you all.

suppose you have a ball moving in a straight line toward a door. The door is hinged on one side, and the ball is moving toward the other end (the door knob end) of the door. If the door is ajar, when the ball hits the door, it will cause the door to rotate about its hinged axis.

In this case, the moving ball must have had initial angular momentum, because at the end, the door acquired angular momentum when it rotated about its hinged end; since angular momentum is conserved when there are no external torques (and there are no external torques in this example), the ball had initial angular momentum.

An object traveling in a straight line can have angular momentum if it is moving at some perpendicular from a fixed point or line. Here, the ball has angular momentum equal to

L = m v r where m is the balls mass, v is its speed and r is the perpendicular distance between its direction of travel and the hinges.

It does not have to be moving perpendicular to some predefined axis, Doc Al already gave you the answer above.

sinjan.j said:
In this case, the moving ball must have had initial angular momentum, because at the end, the door acquired angular momentum when it rotated about its hinged end; since angular momentum is conserved when there are no external torques (and there are no external torques in this example), the ball had initial angular momentum.

The ball hitting the door isn't an external torque?

sinjan.j said:
An object traveling in a straight line can have angular momentum if it is moving at some perpendicular from a fixed point or line.

You mean, like some moving objects don't do so wrt a fixed point?

This is all flahh-di-blahh semantics.

You could argue that the ball hitting the door has angular momentum before doing so (about the door hinge), or you could argue that it passes only linear momentum to the door, the consequence of which is that the hinge constrains the door's motion and applies a torque (the reaction at the hinge, wrt the door's CoM) to the door to make it rotate. Take your pick.

Anyhow you like it, there is no argument on the physics, and I do not believe use of these terms are so 'well-defined' in general mathematics for precisely the reason that angular momentum and linear momentum can be chosen wrt whichever axis it is most convenient for you to resolve around. So I'd suggest the issue here is that you are asking a question presuming there to be *an* answer, yet there is not such an answer.

(I would add a few caveats to that, to be more rigorous about such a definition, but are beyond the scope of this thread.)

Drakkith said:
The ball hitting the door isn't an external torque?
Not if you treat the ball+door as an isolated system. The angular momentum of that system must be preserved as well. If a system is not rigid you can have:
- Non zero net angular momentum without rotation (as the ball+door shows)
- Rotation with zero net angular momentum (as the falling cat shows)

isnt it also true tht a body moving in a linear payh wud also have angular velocity(bcoz as the body moves ,taking a point as the origin,we can see tye angle made by it changing)??so doesn't this also show the body will have angular momentum?

Doc Al said:
Consider a point mass moving with momentum p. If its position vector is r, then its angular momentum about the origin is L = r X p. (r, p, and L are vectors) Nothing is rotating.

It's worth noting that if that's a particle moving at constant speed in a straight line, then

r = ro + vot
p = mvo

so L = (ro + vot) x (mvo) = mro x vo = constant

Therefore that particle has constant angular momentum. Quite curious result, given the "distance" changes, but the velocity doesn't.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around a fixed axis. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is spinning).

2. Why do only rotating bodies have angular momentum?

Only rotating bodies have angular momentum because it is a property that is specific to rotational motion. Other types of motion, such as linear motion, have their own respective measures of momentum.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved when there is no external torque acting on the object. This means that the net torque on the object is zero, causing the angular momentum to remain constant.

4. Can angular momentum change?

Yes, angular momentum can change. If there is an external torque acting on a rotating body, its angular momentum will change according to the equation: change in angular momentum = external torque x change in time.

5. Why is angular momentum important in physics?

Angular momentum is important in physics because it is a fundamental property that helps us understand rotational motion. It is also conserved in many physical systems, making it a useful tool in analyzing and predicting the behavior of rotating objects.