A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus

In summary, the speaker is looking for a book to help their father learn calculus, but without a focus on problems and exams. They are specifically looking for a book that explains calculus intuitively and have been recommended "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson and an online book by Brian Crowell.
iVenky
Hello everyone. Actually my father is willing to learn calculus. He is good in number system and trigonometry and other basic mathematics. He doesn't know about Calculus and Functions. So I want you to suggest some book, which is really good for a beginner in Calculus and I don't need problems in that book because my father is not going to write exams. He just wants to learn it. Is there any book which deals completely with Calculus intuitively?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters check out wikipedias calculus overview. There may be online books or tutorials listed in the article too.

jedishrfu said:
For starters check out wikipedias calculus overview. There may be online books or tutorials listed in the article too.

I tried it. It has many books. I just need one book. Which one is the best?

The book I often recommend is the classic Calculus Made Easy. (A bit old-fashioned, perhaps, but excellent nonetheless.)

But there are many books to choose from these days.

Doc Al said:
The book I often recommend is the classic Calculus Made Easy. (A bit old-fashioned, perhaps, but excellent nonetheless.)

But there are many books to choose from these days.

Who is the author of that book?

iVenky said:
Who is the author of that book?
Check the link. Silvanus P. Thompson.

Doc Al said:
Check the link. Silvanus P. Thompson.

I saw that book. As I told before it's for my father. Note that he is not going to write any exam on Calculus. So basically I don't need examples and problems. I need some kind of book which deals with Calculus intuitively. Are you sure it would deal with Calculus intuitively?

Thanks in advance.

iVenky said:
I need some kind of book which deals with Calculus intuitively. Are you sure it would deal with Calculus intuitively?
Yes, "Calculus Made Easy" definitely approaches things from an intuitive point of view. It's an excellent book.

What is "A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus" about?

"A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus" is a comprehensive guide that aims to provide a deeper and more intuitive understanding of the concepts and principles of calculus. It covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of calculus in various fields.

Who is the author of "A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus"?

The author of "A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus" is Dr. Morris Kline, an American mathematician and professor at New York University. He is known for his books on mathematics, including "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" and "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach."

Is "A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus" is suitable for beginners as it provides a clear and accessible explanation of the fundamental concepts of calculus. It does not assume any prior knowledge of calculus, making it an excellent resource for those new to the subject.

Does "A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus" cover both single and multivariable calculus?

Yes, "A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus" covers both single and multivariable calculus. It includes topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals in single-variable calculus, as well as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus in multivariable calculus.

Are there any practice problems or exercises included in "A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus"?

Yes, "A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus" includes numerous practice problems and exercises to help readers reinforce their understanding of the concepts. These exercises range from basic to more challenging problems and are accompanied by detailed solutions to aid in the learning process.