Calculating Work Required for Creating a Vacuum with a Pneumatic Cylinder

In summary, the amount of work required to create a vacuum in a one cubic meter tube with a pressure of 56,777 Pascals using a pneumatic cylinder can be calculated using the formula W = V * (Pambient - Pnew) + V * Pnew * natural log(Pnew/Pambient), where V is the volume and Pambient and Pnew are the ambient and new pressures, respectively. This results in a work requirement of 11,674 Joules, taking into account the additional volume provided by the cylinder and piston. However, other factors such as the efficiency of the pneumatic cylinder may also play a role in the overall work required.
kearneytj
I'm trying to determine the amount of work required to create a vacuum. The vacuum will be within a one cubic meter tube with a pressure of 56,777 Pascals. A pneumatic cylinder will be used to remove the air from the tube to create the vacuum.

The standard formula for the work to create a vacuum is: Work = Pressure Difference x Volume. However, I've read in other posts that when considering the use of a cylinder and piston there is actually some work that can be reclaimed since the piston and cylinder provides additional volume for the exhausted gas to expand into. Therefore, the correct formula to calculate work assuming an ambient atmospheric pressure of 101,325 Pascals is as follows:

W = V * ( Pambient - Pnew ) + V * Pnew * natural log(Pnew/Pambient)

Using the above formula I get:

W = 1 cubic meter * (101,325 Pascals - 56,777 Pascals) + 1 cubic meter * 56,777 Pascals * -.579197

W = 11,674 Joules

Could someone please validate that I've correctly calculated the work required to create a vacuum using a pneumatic cylinder?

Physics news on Phys.org

I can confirm that your calculation for the work required to create a vacuum using a pneumatic cylinder is correct. The formula you used takes into account the additional volume provided by the cylinder and piston, which allows for some work to be reclaimed. This results in a lower amount of work required compared to the standard formula.

Additionally, it is important to note that the work required to create a vacuum also depends on the efficiency of the pneumatic cylinder and any other factors that may affect the process. However, the formula you used is a good estimate for the work required in this specific scenario.

I hope this helps and I wish you success in your research. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a vacuum and how is it created?

A vacuum is a space that is completely empty of matter, including air molecules. It is created by removing all air and other gases from a closed container, or by creating a low-pressure environment using a pump.

2. Why is it important to create a vacuum in scientific experiments?

A vacuum is important in scientific experiments because it allows researchers to control and isolate certain variables in their experiments. This is especially useful in studying the behavior of gases, as it eliminates the interference of air molecules.

3. What are some common methods used to create a vacuum?

Some common methods used to create a vacuum include using a vacuum pump, which uses mechanical or electrical energy to remove air from a container, and cryogenic pumps, which use extremely low temperatures to condense and remove gases.

4. Are there any dangers associated with creating a vacuum?

Yes, there can be dangers associated with creating a vacuum. If the pressure difference between the inside and outside of a container is too great, the container can implode, causing potential hazards. It is important to follow safety protocols and use proper equipment when creating a vacuum.

5. Can a perfect vacuum be achieved?

No, it is not possible to achieve a perfect vacuum. There will always be some residual gases present, no matter how low the pressure is. However, scientists are able to create extremely low-pressure environments, with only a few gas molecules per cubic centimeter, which is close to a perfect vacuum.