Solving Relay Imaging Problem to Get Image at 370mm

In summary, the author is trying to image an object at a specific plane using a 4F optical system. He has tried using the thin lens equation twice, but has not been able to get the desired imaging plane. He is looking for help from others who may have more experience with this type of setup.
test1234
Hi there, I've been trying to solve this problem regarding relay imaging so that I can modify my experimental setup accordingly. Please refer to the attached jpg file for the lens setup.

I am trying to image the object (the purple block in the attached jpg file) at a specific imaging plane 370mm after the final lens in my setup. The constraints in my setup include, the object has to be exactly at the focal point between the two f=200mm lenses and I only have a limited distance between the second f=200mm and f=306.8mm lenses to play with.

I tried applying the thin lens equation ([itex]\frac{1}{s_0}+\frac{1}{s_i}=\frac{1}{f}[/itex]) twice as follows:

Starting from the object,
[itex]
s_0=200mm \\
f=200mm \\
s_i=∞ \\
[/itex]

Since it is expected that the first intermediate image would be at infinity, I worked with slightly off values of [itex] s_0=199mm[/itex] and [itex]201mm[/itex] instead.
Hence, leading to
[itex]
s_i= -39800mm[/itex] or [itex]+40200mm\\
[/itex]

Then the image of the first lens become the object of the second lens (f=306.8mm).
Again I applied the thin lens equation with
[itex]s_0 = (1100+39800)mm [/itex] or [itex](1100-40200)mm\\[/itex]
[itex]= 40900mm[/itex] or [itex]-39100mm \\ [/itex]

[itex]
s_i= 309.12mm[/itex] or [itex]304.41mm\\
[/itex]

Hence, this current setup doesn't give me my intended imaging plane at 370mm. I was wondering if anyone could give some ideas regarding what I can do get the image at 370mm without adjusting the object distance from the f=200mm lens?

I tried making the distance between the second f=200mm and f=306.8mm a variable and set the final image distance to 370mm, but it resulted in a huge value of around 40m!

Would really appreciate if anyone could help please. Thanks!

Attachments

• Lens system.JPG
    Lens system.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,795
Physics news on Phys.org
The standard advice is to use matrix methods for "complex" systems. If you are using Gaussian beams use the Gaussian matrix method; otherwise use the simpler ray matrix method. Then you simply use the "image condition" as the constraint for the final values obtained, while using arbitrary distances between the lenses.

If you are unfamiliar with the matrix methods just do ray tracing - it will be close enough to the Gaussian when you make the adjustments during the actual setup.

You don't have the actual lenses, right? If you do, you can just fiddle ... once you have a workable design the rest is all in proper alignment and slight adjustments of the distances. Though I agree that you should calculate prior to buying the lenses.

I've used a similar setup for monitoring a thin object which was the target for a laser experiment. The collimated beam from the left is focused by the first lens onto the object (a TEM grid with some stuff on it), which diffracts the light; the diffracted light is originates at the focal point of the second lens - which collects the bits of the diffraction pattern, and in turn focuses it upon the detectors of a CCD camera (lens removed from the CCD camera as the image forms on the plane of the detector).

This two-lens system with collimated light entering from the left, and the image plane on the right, is called a 4F optical system. The object being imaged must be (a) quite small - the size of the focal spot; (b) be transparent or (c) have lots of holes - otherwise the second lens does not receive the diffraction spots.

4F setups don't require the final lens unless you need to project the image elsewhere.

BTW your drawing is incorrect; the rays from the second lens will cross at 200 mm to the right, and then expand as they approach the third lens.PS: Also see http://www.livephysics.com/tools/optics-tools/lens-system-tool-image-distance-magnification/

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks UltrafastPED! =) Just a quick clarification, for the Gaussian matrix method, is it right to say that I would need to start from the leftmost collimated output and propagate it through the two focusing lenses (4f setup) before finally reaching the focusing lens at the other end?

Hi there, it seems like you are facing a challenging problem with your relay imaging setup. It is important to note that the thin lens equation you have used assumes paraxial rays and may not accurately predict the image location in your setup. Additionally, the limited distance between the second f=200mm and f=306.8mm lenses may be causing some difficulties in achieving your desired image plane at 370mm.

One possible solution could be to use a lens with a shorter focal length, such as a f=100mm lens, in between the two f=200mm lenses. This would allow for a shorter overall distance between the lenses and potentially help achieve your desired image plane. However, this may also require adjusting the distance between the lenses and the object.

Another approach could be to use a combination of lenses with different focal lengths, such as a f=150mm and f=250mm, to achieve the desired image plane. This would require careful calculations and adjustments to ensure the correct positioning of the lenses.

Overall, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or a professional in the field of optics to help troubleshoot and optimize your relay imaging setup. Good luck with your experiments!

1. What is a relay imaging problem?

A relay imaging problem refers to the challenge of obtaining an image at a specific distance, typically 370mm, using a series of lenses or mirrors. This requires precise calculations and adjustments to ensure that the final image is clear and accurate.

2. Why is it important to solve relay imaging problems?

Solving relay imaging problems is crucial for many scientific and technological applications, such as microscopy, telescopes, and cameras. It allows us to capture and analyze images at a specific distance, providing valuable insights and data.

3. What are the main steps involved in solving a relay imaging problem?

The main steps include determining the desired image distance, selecting appropriate lenses or mirrors, calculating the focal length and magnification of each component, and adjusting the position and orientation of the components to achieve the desired image at 370mm.

4. What are some common challenges in solving relay imaging problems?

One of the main challenges is ensuring that all the components are aligned and positioned correctly, as even small errors can significantly affect the final image. Another challenge is selecting the right combination of lenses or mirrors to achieve the desired image distance and quality.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can assist in solving relay imaging problems?

Yes, there are various software programs and mathematical formulas that can aid in solving relay imaging problems. These tools can help with calculations, simulations, and visualizations, making the process more efficient and accurate.