How Does Valve Opening Affect Flow Rate from a Pressurized Tank?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student trying to design a valve connected to a tank and having trouble defining the phenomena. They have a pressurized tank with air at 100 bar and want to know the flow rate through the opened valve. The valve outlet is at atmospheric pressure and they need to know the maximum flow rate to correctly design the valve. They consider using the relation PV=nRT but are unsure how to link it with the flow rate. The conversation also suggests using the isentropic expansion to determine pressure and temperature in the tank, but it may not be helpful. Finally, someone suggests determining the pressure drop/flow rate relationship for the valve, either through calculation or measurement.
luffyy
Hello,

Im a student and I try to design a valve connected to a tank. However I have some troubles to define the phenomena. I have a pressurized tank with air at 100 bar and I would like to know the evolution of the flow rate through the opened valve. The valve outlet is at the atmospheric pressure. If I know the maximum flow rate i'll be able to define correctly my valve. I think I can use the relation PV=nRT but I don't really know how to link it with the flow rate. I used the isentropic expansion to determine the pressure and temperature in the tank but I 'm not sure that help. I only know the flow rate will decrease with the pressure of the tank.

Someone has an idea?

Thanks a lot.

Luffyy

Physics news on Phys.org
You have one piece of the puzzle, but not the other piece. You need to determine the pressure drop/flow rate relationship for the valve. That will complete your model. Calculating this relationship from first principles is difficult because of the complex geometry of the valve flow channel. It might be better to measure the relationship. The relationship will typically be non-linear, and will also depend on how much the valve is open.

Chet

What is flow rate through a valve?

The flow rate through a valve refers to the volume of fluid that passes through the valve in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per minute (LPM).

How is flow rate through a valve calculated?

The flow rate through a valve is calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that passes through the valve by the time it takes to pass through. This can be represented by the equation Q = V/t, where Q is the flow rate, V is the volume, and t is the time.

What factors affect flow rate through a valve?

The flow rate through a valve can be affected by a number of factors including the size and shape of the valve, the pressure difference across the valve, the viscosity of the fluid, and any obstructions in the flow path.

How does the type of valve impact flow rate?

The type of valve can have a significant impact on the flow rate through a valve. Different types of valves, such as ball valves, globe valves, and gate valves, have different flow characteristics and can affect the flow rate in different ways.

What is the relationship between flow rate and valve opening?

The flow rate through a valve is directly proportional to the valve opening. This means that as the valve opens wider, the flow rate will increase. Similarly, as the valve closes, the flow rate will decrease.