Checking Basic Physics Problem for Friend

In summary: Problem 2.)My friend is having trouble with a problem in his physics book. He has been trying to do the problem for a while now and he just can't seem to get it. He has been trying to use the given value for the acceleration, but he keeps getting different results. He has been trying to use the value for the force, but he keeps getting different results. He has been trying to use the value for the mass, but he keeps getting different results. He has been trying to use the value for the distance, but he keeps getting different results. He has been trying to use the value for the time, but he keeps getting different results.In summary, my friend is having trouble with a
Cyrus
My friends a pre-med student and he's taking basic phyiscs 1. He asked me to do two problems. Can you double check to make sure I did not tell him the wrong thing! :blushing:

Problem 1.)

There are two square masses, side by side on a frictionless pond. Mass A is 150kg, and mass b, is 50kg. A force of 100N is applied at mass A, find the reaction force that mass B exerts on mass A.

So I said on block A: simga(F): (150)a = 100N - F

and on block B: sigma(F): F = 50a

since both blocks are in contact, they have to have the same acceleration, so both a's are equal.

so that means a = F/50, and I plug that into block A's equation.

150(F/50) = 100 -F

and so F = 25 N

Does that sound right?

I did not have a solution to check for a mistake. And i feel stupid asking this question, but his test is comming up and I don't want him to fail because of what I told him. I was real stupid the first time I did it because I approached it as a statics problem without thinking, I just said oh, its 100N...errrrrr whoops... that was dumb of me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well to me the free-body diagrams look right for sure and the reasoning looks good as well. Your net forces a fine and i they would have the same acceleration. I know it's probably not reassuring to have me say it looks fine, but I'm saying it anyway : )

Does anyone else agree, no offense big man? Just makin sure.

Surely, there's a trick to this question.

Unless it is a given that the pond is frozen, the masses will not sit on the surface.

HAAHAHAHAHAH, i forgot to type frozen...sorry.

Ah. Then never mind. Carry on.

Does it look correct though?

Theres another problem in his book that is worded funny, and I keep getting a different anwser than what they have. Ill post that problem up too, maybe you can find something I am not seeing.

1. How can I check if my friend's physics problem is correct?

There are a few steps you can follow to check your friend's physics problem. First, make sure you understand the problem and the concepts involved. Then, check if all the given information is included in the calculations. Next, verify if the units are consistent throughout the problem. Finally, solve the problem using the correct equation and compare your answer with your friend's to see if they match.

2. What should I do if I find a mistake in my friend's physics problem?

If you find a mistake in your friend's physics problem, first discuss it with them and explain where the mistake is. Offer to help them correct it and provide guidance on how to approach the problem correctly. This will not only help your friend learn from their mistake, but it will also strengthen your own understanding of the concept.

3. Can I use online resources to check my friend's physics problem?

Yes, you can use online resources such as physics problem solving websites or forums to check your friend's problem. However, make sure to use them as a reference and not solely rely on them. It's important to understand the problem and its solution rather than just copying it from a website.

4. How can I explain the solution to my friend if I understand it, but they don't?

If your friend is having trouble understanding the solution to a physics problem, try breaking it down into smaller steps and explaining each step clearly. Use visuals or real-life examples to help them grasp the concept better. You can also encourage them to ask questions and try solving similar problems on their own.

5. Is it okay to ask for help from someone else when checking a physics problem for a friend?

Yes, it is perfectly fine to ask for help from someone else when checking a physics problem for a friend. In fact, getting a second opinion can often help catch any mistakes or misunderstandings. However, make sure to give credit to the person who helped you and don't simply copy their solution without understanding it.