PWR Pressure Drop: Plenum to Plenum Pressure Drop

In summary, the plenum to plenum pressure drop for a PWR is approximately 40 psi, while the pressure drop across the core is about 25-27 psid at hot conditions across a conventional 12 ft core. Including the steam generator tubes and other reactor coolant piping, the overall pressure drop is closer to 40 psi, consistent with the sizing of Westinghouse 3400 MWt PWR RCPs for 100,000 gpm @ 40 psi.
matt222
For pressure drop of PWR, what is the plenum to plenum pressure drop?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It has been years since I worked on these things, but I recall it was about 40 psi.

matt222 said:
For pressure drop of PWR, what is the plenum to plenum pressure drop?
About 25-27 psid at hot conditions across a conventional 12 ft (3.66 m) core.

Astronuc said:
About 25-27 psid at hot conditions across a conventional 12 ft (3.66 m) core.
Astronuc, if you include the steam generator tubes and other reactor coolant piping, does it add up to about 40 psi? I thought I remember the reference Westinghouse 3400 MWt PWR RCPs being sized for about 100,000 gpm @ 40 psi.

edgepflow said:
Astronuc, if you include the steam generator tubes and other reactor coolant piping, does it add up to about 40 psi? I thought I remember the reference Westinghouse 3400 MWt PWR RCPs being sized for about 100,000 gpm @ 40 psi.
I was referring to just the pressure drop across the core. The pressure drop around the primary loop or across the reactor coolant pump, is of course greater, and 40 psid seems about right. I have the actual numbers somewhere.

What is PWR Pressure Drop?

PWR Pressure Drop refers to the pressure difference that occurs between two points in a Pressurized Water Reactor (PWR) system.

What is the Plenum to Plenum Pressure Drop in a PWR system?

The Plenum to Plenum Pressure Drop is the pressure difference between the Reactor Coolant System (RCS) plenum and the Steam Generator (SG) plenum in a PWR system.

What causes PWR Pressure Drop?

PWR Pressure Drop is primarily caused by the frictional resistance of the coolant flow and the resistance of flow through components such as valves and pumps in the PWR system.

How is PWR Pressure Drop calculated?

PWR Pressure Drop is calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid velocity, density, and elevation between two points in the system.

Why is PWR Pressure Drop important in reactor design?

PWR Pressure Drop is important in reactor design because it affects the efficiency and performance of the PWR system. A high pressure drop can lead to decreased flow rates and increased energy consumption, while a low pressure drop can result in inadequate cooling and potential safety issues.