Diagnosing AC Condenser Capacitor Failure

In summary, the AC condenser starter capacitor exploded and the fan motor was the real culprit. The advice given was to check the old motor against the new motor with a multimeter to make sure it was ok.
russ_watters
Mentor
So the starter capacitor in my AC condenser exploded a couple of days ago. I'm headed out to get a new one (found someone open!) and I'm just concerned that the failure could be just a symptom of a bigger problem like a bad compressor or fan motor (its a dual capacity capacitor that serves both). I bought a new fan motor accidentally(?) because at first I thought that was the problem. It was dark out, the fan was hot and humming but not spinning and I didn't open the control panel to find the blown cap.

Here's the thing: when the cap exploded, I heard it and went outside. The fan was spinning slowly, but laboring and the compressor was running. It took a few minutes before the fan stopped spinning and I'm a little concerned that leaving it on for 15 minutes or so could have damaged the other components.

I have a service appointment for Tues, but with some parts in hand I may be able to fix it myself. What I don't want is to blow another cap because the fan motor really was the problem when I have a spare fan motor sitting in my basement. On the other hand, if I install the new fan motor unnecessarily, I won't get my $100 back. Maybe I'll buy two caps...

Suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would compare old motor versus new using multimeter. I.e. winding resistance, winding to case resistance must be infinite, the motor must be possible to turn manually, etc.
Especially, check the winding that is powered through the capacitor.

It is really hard to give the advice without knowing the circuit. Especially as you say that capacitor serves both fan and compressor motors, which implies some really strange circuitry.

Dmytry said:
It is really hard to give the advice without knowing the circuit. Especially as you say that capacitor serves both fan and compressor motors, which implies some really strange circuitry.

A dual run capacitor is just two capacitors in one case.

The fan motor has a thermal overload located in the main winding of the motor. If the overload is working properly it will shut off current to the motor before damage is done. Odds are the motor itself is ok - if it was the capacitor that initially failed. According to Wikipedia, run capacitors now have a limited shelf life due to the EPA requirement that PCBs not be used in their construction.

My dad runs an AC company and a blown capacitor is one of the most common problems.

Thanks guys. The cap was cheap so I bought 2.

TurtleMeister said:
A dual run capacitor is just two capacitors in one case.
Ahh. I was thinking it actually shared capacitors between motors
The fan motor has a thermal overload located in the main winding of the motor. If the overload is working properly it will shut off current to the motor before damage is done. Odds are the motor itself is ok - if it was the capacitor that initially failed. According to Wikipedia, run capacitors now have a limited shelf life due to the EPA requirement that PCBs not be used in their construction.
Yep... well since he got a new motor anyway, he could check old motor against new motor with multimeter to make sure it's ok... won't hurt to make sure.

I think you won't kill the capacitor... the worst that can happen to capacitor is that the winding powered through that capacitor is shorted out, which could overheat capacitor eventually.

What is the capacitance?

Dmytry said:
What is the capacitance?
35/5 uf. Here's a pic of the wiring diagram for those interested.

It's in and seems to be working. The service contractor wanted $108 just to diagnose it. The capacitor cost $9.50 (and I got a spare). Thanks for the help, guys.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram1.jpg
    Wiring Diagram1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 443

1. What is an AC condenser capacitor?

An AC condenser capacitor is a small electronic component found in air conditioning systems. It stores and releases electrical energy to help the air conditioner start and run efficiently.

2. How can I tell if my AC condenser capacitor is failing?

There are a few signs that can indicate a failing AC condenser capacitor, including the air conditioner not turning on, weak airflow, strange noises coming from the unit, and visible damage to the capacitor itself.

3. Can I replace the AC condenser capacitor myself?

While it is possible to replace the AC condenser capacitor yourself, it is not recommended. This task requires knowledge of electrical systems and can be dangerous if not done correctly. It is best to hire a professional technician to handle the replacement.

4. How long does an AC condenser capacitor typically last?

The lifespan of an AC condenser capacitor can vary, but on average it can last anywhere from 10-20 years. However, factors such as usage, weather conditions, and maintenance can affect its longevity.

5. Can a failing AC condenser capacitor cause other issues with my air conditioning system?

Yes, a failing AC condenser capacitor can cause other issues with your air conditioning system. It can put strain on other components, such as the compressor, and can lead to higher energy bills and decreased efficiency. It is important to address a failing capacitor as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the system.