How to integrate [ x / (1 + x) ] dx

In summary, SammyS forgot how to do the U-substitution method, and was not able to find a straightforward way to get to the correct answer. He suggests trying x=u-1 instead. He also states that this is not an easy problem, and that most students spend hours mastering Calculus material.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

Evalute the integral

∫ [x / 1 + x] dx

Homework Equations

∫ [x / 1 + x] dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I forgot how to do solve this type of integral, or never had enough practice. And this problem is actually for a physics problem :-) And my algebra is very rusty as well.

∫ [x / 1 + x] dx
Can't do U-sub, don't think you can do by parts, can't do trig substitution, not sure about partial fractions

Divide everything by 'x'.
∫ [x / 1 + x] dx = ∫ [x (1 / x)/ 1(1 / x) + x(1 / x)] dx

∫ [1 / (1/x) + (1)] dx

Not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing

[tex]\frac x {1+x}=1 -\frac 1 {1+x}[/tex]

Yes, I see that will work, but I just can not see a straightforward way to get there :-(

... to get there from where?

Can you find [itex]\displaystyle \int\,\left(1 -\frac 1 {1+x}\right)\,dx\ ?[/itex]

Color_of_Cyan said:
Yes, I see that will work, but I just can not see a straightforward way to get there :-(

It is a standard procedure when you have a polynomial of equal or higher degree in the numerator to reduce it by long division until the numerator is less degree than the denominator. Just divide x+1 into x long division.

Color_of_Cyan said:

There's a trick that's often used for problems like this:

[tex]\frac{x}{x + 1} = \frac{x + 1 - 1}{x + 1} = \frac{x + 1}{x + 1} - \frac{1}{x + 1} = 1 - \frac{1}{x + 1}[/tex]

You could also do this easily with the substitution u = x + 1 → u - 1 = x and du = dx. After the substitutions, then you can split up the integrand into two fractions, which could be a little easier than the above method.

Let's wait to hear from Cyan before we do any more. We're not sure what his/her hang up is.

My main point:
The word easy should not be in a tutor's vocabulary. Although, for those who have spent hours (sometimes hundreds) mastering various Calculus material, few if any of us thought it was easy to learn.

Bohrok said:
You could also do this [STRIKE]easily[/STRIKE] with the substitution u = x + 1 → u - 1 = x and du = dx. After the substitutions, then you can split up the integrand into two fractions, which could be a little easier than the above method.
The most effective method, for most students is to realize, not only u=x+1 can be substituted in, but we may replace other x's using x=u-1. I hope this didn't get lost in the mix.

I hope SammyS is Ok, with this interjection.:uhh:

SammyS said:
Let's wait to hear from Cyan before we do any more. We're not sure what his/her hang up is.
:cry:

Bohrok said:

[tex]\frac{x}{x + 1} = \frac{x + 1 - 1}{x + 1} = \frac{x + 1}{x + 1} - \frac{1}{x + 1} = 1 - \frac{1}{x + 1}[/tex]

You could also do this easily with the substitution u = x + 1 → u - 1 = x and du = dx. After the substitutions, then you can split up the integrand into two fractions, which could be a little easier than the above method.
Thanks, this really helps a lot!

The only problem is that I get a slightly different answer for the U-Substitution method you provided, probably because I'm being dumb making mistakes here and there:

∫ [ x / (x + 1) ] dx

u = x + 1 ; du = dx

x = u - 1

∫ [ (u - 1) / u ] du

= ∫ [ u / u] du - ∫ [1 / u] du

= ∫ 1 du - ∫ [1 / u] du

= (u) - ln(u) ; recall u = x + 1; = x+1 - ln (x+1)

The first method you said (and I'll copy it over):

x / (x + 1) = (x + 1 - 1) / ( x + 1);

= [ (x + 1) / (x + 1) ] - [ 1 / (x + 1) ]

= 1 - [1 / (x + 1)]

Integrating this now:

∫ 1 - [1 / (x + 1)] dx

= x - ln(x + 1)

Two things for *indefinite integrals*, always remember the constant of integration. Get all the easy points on quizzes & tests.

Second, they only differ by a constant, right?
So pick different constants of integration to compensate. +4 for one & +5 for the other.
Very commonly when doing an integral by two different methods, the answer will come out the same, but differ by an addition constant.

Thank you very much for coming back and finishing the question. Next step for you: develop more self sufficiency on questions like this.

nickalh said:
Two things for *indefinite integrals*, always remember the constant of integration. Get all the easy points on quizzes & tests.

Second, they only differ by a constant, right?
So pick different constants of integration to compensate. +4 for one & +5 for the other.
Very commonly when doing an integral by two different methods, the answer will come out the same, but differ by an addition constant.

Thank you very much for coming back and finishing the question. Next step for you: develop more self sufficiency on questions like this.
Yeah I should have put the + C also, but this was for a physics problem and this integral was the last step from me finishing it, and it actually was a definite integral where I integrated over a length.

I realize that this is a ridiculous question, but what algebraic technique are you using? Are you completing the square?

John_Rambo said:
I realize that this is a ridiculous question, but what algebraic technique are you using? Are you completing the square?

Bohrok said:

John_Rambo said:
I doubt the technique has a formal name.

You can get same result by using long division.

1. What is the integration formula for x / (1 + x)?

The integration formula for x / (1 + x) is ln(1 + x) + C.

2. How do I solve the integral x / (1 + x)?

To solve the integral x / (1 + x), you can use the substitution method by letting u = 1 + x and then integrating u / u, which simplifies to ln(u). Remember to substitute back for x in your final answer.

3. Is there a shortcut or trick for solving x / (1 + x)?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut or trick for solving x / (1 + x). It requires the use of the substitution method or other integration techniques such as partial fractions.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve the integral x / (1 + x)?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the integral x / (1 + x), but it is important to remember that calculators may not always provide the most simplified answer. It is recommended to double-check your answer by hand.

5. Are there any other ways to write the integral x / (1 + x)?

Yes, you can write the integral x / (1 + x) as 1 - 1 / (1 + x) or 1 / (1 + 1 / x). These alternative forms may be more useful depending on the integration technique you choose to use.