Summer REU options for int'l students?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an international student from Spain participating in a summer physics REU program in the US. It is mentioned that REU programs are funded by the National Science Foundation and typically only allow US citizens to apply. However, there are a few programs, such as the one at Montana State University, that accept international students with funding from other sources. The conversation also touches on the issue of permanent residents being able to apply for NSF grants and the potential of attending national laboratories. The suggestion is given to contact specific programs for more information.
Lavabug
Is it common for international students to get to do summer physics REU's in the US? I am a 3rd year undergrad in Spain, although I am a legal resident of the US if that helps (no need for a visa or anything to that avail). I can get letters of recommendation from 2-3 professors one of which is in my area of interest. I would like to do something in astrophysics but I'm open to other areas as well. Do I have any chance of getting into a REU or do students studying abroad take a back seat to applicants with letters of recommendation from US professors?

Physics news on Phys.org
REU programs are funded by the National Science Foundation, and non-US citizens are not allowed to apply. If you are a US citizen, you might be able to apply, but I'm not sure how your application would look coming from Spain. I would just send emails to the programs you want to attend and ask them.

However, there are a couple of programs that accept international students, the funding just comes from somewhere else. Montana State University is an example. Their program is in solar physics.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! That looks nice, and one of my profs is an active researcher in that area. Do you happen to know of any similar examples of non-NSF funded REUs? I'm a permanent resident (greencard holder), but I'm still a few years from being able to obtain a full citizenship.

I found a site with a list, though it was last updated 5 years ago:
http://astro.cornell.edu/academics/courses/astro334/internships.html
which has a link to
http://astro.physics.uiowa.edu/~clang/reu_info.html

I assume national laboratories are out of the question for non-citizens?

Edit: I just found out that permanent residents can still apply for NSF grants.

That program was the only one I saw in my REU search that accepts international students. Some say they accept permanent residents, but some also say that you must attend a school in the US. And yes, national laboratories are probably out of the question. But again, it doesn't hurt to ask.

It is not uncommon for international students to participate in summer REU programs in the US. Many universities and research institutions welcome international students to their programs, and being a legal resident of the US may increase your chances of being accepted. However, the selection process for REU programs is highly competitive and decisions are based on a variety of factors, including academic achievements, research interests, and letters of recommendation. It is important to highlight your academic achievements and research interests in your application, and having letters of recommendation from professors in your area of interest can strengthen your application. Ultimately, the decision to accept international students is up to each individual program, so I would encourage you to apply and showcase your qualifications and enthusiasm for astrophysics or other areas of interest. Good luck!

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research opportunity for undergraduate students to gain hands-on research experience in their field of interest. These programs are typically funded by the National Science Foundation and are hosted by universities or research institutions.

2. Can international students apply for REU programs?

Yes, international students are eligible to apply for REU programs. However, each program may have specific requirements and restrictions for international applicants, so it is important to carefully review the program's application guidelines.

3. Are REU programs only available for science and engineering fields?

No, while REU programs are commonly offered in science and engineering fields, there are also programs available in other fields such as social sciences, humanities, and arts. It is important to research and find programs that align with your academic interests.

4. Is it necessary to have prior research experience to be accepted into an REU program?

No, prior research experience is not a requirement for most REU programs. These programs are designed to provide students with their first research experience, so they are open to students with little to no previous research experience.

5. Are REU programs paid?

Yes, most REU programs provide a stipend for participants to cover living expenses during the summer program. The stipend amount varies depending on the program and location, but it typically ranges from $3,000 to $5,000 for a 10-week program. Some programs also cover housing and travel expenses.