Exploring Applied Math: Courses and PhD Possibilities

In summary, if you major in applied mathematics, you will typically take courses such as combinatorics, probability and statistics, numerical methods, operations research, theory of interest, and data analysis. It is also possible to get a PhD in applied math. However, if you only have a BS in math, job prospects may be limited and a PhD is preferred. Consider reaching out to math professors for more information.
courtrigrad
If I were to major in applied mathematics, what courses would I normally take? Secondly, is it possible to get a PhD in applied math?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since I know you're thinking about Penn State University, you can read about the Undergraduate Mathematics programs at: http://www.math.psu.edu/UG

Click "Information for Math Majors" for good information. Also, feel free to e-mail the math professors with your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im getting a minor in applied math and its basically just taking a bunch of courses outside of the math department that are very math intensive, like physical chemistry. This is in addition to taking math courses through diff eq.

my applied mathematics majors has me taking combinatorics, probability and statististics, numerical methods, operations research, theory of interest, data analysis, etc. it's very different from the pure mathematics major.

I know there is not a lot you can usually do with just a B.S. in Math and that I Ph.D. is preferred, but what about the middle ground? Are the job prospects good for an M.S. in applied Math?

1. What is applied math?

Applied math is the use of mathematical concepts, theories, and methods to solve real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology.

2. What are some common courses in applied math?

Some common courses in applied math include differential equations, linear algebra, calculus, statistics, and numerical analysis. These courses provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and tools that can be applied to solve practical problems.

3. What are the career opportunities for those with a PhD in applied math?

Individuals with a PhD in applied math have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in research and development, data analysis, financial modeling, risk assessment, and many other fields that require strong quantitative skills.

4. What skills are necessary to pursue a PhD in applied math?

To pursue a PhD in applied math, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics, including advanced calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and programming skills are important for conducting research and analyzing data.

5. What are some potential research areas in applied math?

Some potential research areas in applied math include mathematical modeling, optimization, data science, computational fluid dynamics, and mathematical biology. These areas offer opportunities to apply mathematical concepts to solve real-world problems and make significant contributions to various fields.