What is the formula for calculating the volume of a rotated graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of volume of a rotated solid and how to calculate it using integrals and the average height of a function. The speaker also mentions their difficulties with using LaTeX and asks for resources to check syntax. They also mention Pappus' theorem and provide a reference for further understanding of volumes of revolution.
KingNothing
Hi. There are a few problems on my homework that involved the volume of a rotated solid. I do not know how to do these, but I'm trying to devise a method. This is what I figure:

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx[/tex] is the area under the graph.

[tex]\frac {\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx} {b-a}[/tex] is the average height.
This is where logic comes in:
I figure you can use the mean value (average height) as the radius of an "average cylinder" of the function. Therefore, the volume would be [tex]\pi r^{2} (b-a)[/tex], where [tex]r[/tex] is [tex]\frac {\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx} {b-a}[/tex].

Is this correct? I will simplify once i confirm my Latex is correct.

Alright, with this, is it okay to conclude that the over volume is [tex]V = \frac {\pi (\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx)^2} {b-a}[/tex]?

On a sidenote, I make mistakes quite often with Latex, is there an offline generator to check my syntax with?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KingNothing said:
Hi. There are a few problems on my homework that involved the volume of a rotated solid.

Do you mean a volume of revolution? It looks like it.

On a sidenote, I make mistakes quite often with Latex, is there an offline generator to check my syntax with?

Not that I know of, but you do have 24 hours to edit your posts.

No. Consider a sphere of radius 1, centered at the origin, so r as you've defined it would be [itex]\pi /4[/itex], since the area under f will just be the area of half of a circle of radius 1, which is [itex]\pi /2[/itex], and then you divide by b-a = 1-(-1) = 2 to get r. So

[tex]\pi r^2(b-a) = \pi ^3/8[/tex]

On the other hand, you know the volume is [itex]4\pi /3[/itex].

Mind helping me figure out how you actually do this then?

If you used the distance from the axis of rotation to the centroid of the figure instead of the "average radius" then you would have Pappus' theorem.
Here's a reference on volumes of revolution:
http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~igc/tch/ma1002/int/node22.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the volume of a rotated graph calculated?

The volume of a rotated graph can be calculated using the formula V = π ∫ (f(x))^2 dx, where f(x) is the function representing the rotated graph.

2. Can the volume of a rotated graph be negative?

No, the volume of a rotated graph cannot be negative. It is a measure of the space enclosed by the graph and is always a positive value.

3. What are the units for volume of a rotated graph?

The units for volume of a rotated graph will depend on the units used for the function f(x) and the variable x. For example, if f(x) is in meters and x is in seconds, the volume will be in cubic meters per second.

4. Is the volume of a rotated graph affected by the orientation of the rotation?

No, the volume of a rotated graph is not affected by the orientation of the rotation. As long as the graph remains the same shape and size, the volume will remain unchanged.

5. Can the volume of a rotated graph be used to find the surface area?

Yes, the volume of a rotated graph can be used to find the surface area using the formula S = 2π ∫ f(x)(√(1+(f'(x))^2)) dx, where f'(x) is the derivative of f(x).