What Factors Can Damage or Modify DNA?

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary: I'll keep your points in mind when compiling my list. In summary, radiation, chemicals, viruses, and environmental stress can all cause DNA damage or modification. Adaptation and evolution play a role in preventing mutations, but they are not the main causes.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Hello, I'm trying to compile a list of factors that could cause a DNA strand to be damaged or modified (denaturalized).

I'll list a few that I can think of, if you can add some or nix some of mine, please help me and reply, thanks.

1. Radiation (like gamma rays from the sun)
2. Chemicals (compounds like benzene that bind to the dents [I forget the technical word] in DNA's helical shape.)
3. Viruses (viruses that insert their own genes to that transcriptase produces clones of themselves)

Going out on a limb now...

4. Environmental stress
5. Adaptation and Evolution (human tail bones are vestiges of primate tails)
6. Low Energy Radiation (Radio, Microwave, IR, Visible light?)
7. Bacteria?

Biology news on Phys.org
Chaos'lil bro Order said:
Hello, I'm trying to compile a list of factors that could cause a DNA strand to be damaged or modified (denaturalized).

This is exactly the wrong way to think about mutation! Think of the DNA as naturally changing, undergoing SNP's (single nucleide polymorphisms: replacements of one of the four bases by another at some location) all the time. The big backgound level for evolution is Neutral Evolution, meaning indistinguishable from random. If no identifiable change is operating at the phenotype level, if there is no adaptive gradient, neutral evolution is still going on. It is going on in your body right now!.

selfAdjoint said:
It is going on in your body right now!.
I sure hope not! There are MANY mechanisms that prevent your DNA from mutating. And DNA is NOT naturally changing, those changes are prevented by the above mechanisms, DNA replication is done with high fidelity.

A SNP is a variation, not a mutation. You call a mutation a SNP when 80% of the population is variant for that base.

Chaos' lil bro Order said:

I'll list a few that I can think of, if you can add some or nix some of mine, please help me and reply, thanks.

1. Radiation (like gamma rays from the sun)
2. Chemicals (compounds like benzene that bind to the dents [I forget the technical word] in DNA's helical shape.)
3. Viruses (viruses that insert their own genes to that transcriptase produces clones of themselves)

Going out on a limb now...

4. Environmental stress
5. Adaptation and Evolution (human tail bones are vestiges of primate tails)
6. Low Energy Radiation (Radio, Microwave, IR, Visible light?)
7. Bacteria?
For more information on mutations and mutagens, you can find a summary here http://www-personal.k-state.edu/~bethmont/mutdes.html#origins

Points number 5 and 6 don't cause DNA to be damaged, but adaptation is a driving force that selects certain mutations in a population. Point 7 is true, but this is because of the stress of inflammation that bacteria cause (environmental stress). Some other environmental stresses are things as mechanical stress (constant rubbing) or stress from heat (hot water). There is a population in Japan that eats their rice boiling hot, they have a high incidence of mouth and throat cancers.

I think #5, Adaptation and Evolution, is incorrect. Evolution may decide which mutations are successful and which ones aren't, but it isn't a cause for mutations. Same goes for environmental stress.

-Job- said:
I think #5, Adaptation and Evolution, is incorrect. Evolution may decide which mutations are successful and which ones aren't, but it isn't a cause for mutations. Same goes for environmental stress.
If you would have read my post you would have seen that I already adressed those two points. The environmental stress balances on how you define the term, smoking can be defined as an environmental stress and thus cause mutations.

I read 20% of it. Don't you know to first delineate the points of your post in the first paragraph and expand on them only in the remaining body? :smile:

Monique said:
For more information on mutations and mutagens, you can find a summary here http://www-personal.k-state.edu/~bethmont/mutdes.html#origins

Points number 5 and 6 don't cause DNA to be damaged, but adaptation is a driving force that selects certain mutations in a population. Point 7 is true, but this is because of the stress of inflammation that bacteria cause (environmental stress). Some other environmental stresses are things as mechanical stress (constant rubbing) or stress from heat (hot water). There is a population in Japan that eats their rice boiling hot, they have a high incidence of mouth and throat cancers.

Thanks Monique you seem to give the most knowledgeable answer.

What causes DNA mutations?

DNA mutations can be caused by a variety of factors, including exposure to harmful chemicals or radiation, errors during DNA replication, and certain viruses. Additionally, mutations can be inherited from parents or occur spontaneously.

Can DNA mutations be prevented?

While some mutations are unavoidable, there are steps individuals can take to reduce their risk of developing mutations. These include avoiding exposure to harmful substances, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and undergoing genetic testing to identify any inherited mutations.

How do mutations affect an organism?

The effects of mutations on an organism can vary greatly depending on the specific mutation and where it occurs in the DNA. Some mutations may have no effect, while others can cause serious health issues or even be lethal. In some cases, mutations can also provide an advantage, leading to evolution and adaptation.

Do all DNA mutations result in disease?

No, not all DNA mutations result in disease. As mentioned, some mutations may have no effect or even provide an advantage. However, mutations that occur in key genes or regions of the DNA can lead to diseases such as cancer, genetic disorders, or developmental abnormalities.

How are DNA mutations studied and detected?

Scientists use various techniques to study and detect DNA mutations, including genetic sequencing, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), and genetic testing. These methods allow for the identification and analysis of specific mutations, which can provide valuable insights into their causes and effects.