Would Bohr be born if Bohm were born before Born?

• Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bohr
In summary, the paper discusses a hypothetical historical context in which a Bohm-like deterministic interpretation of the Schrodinger equation could have been proposed before the Born probabilistic interpretation, and argues that in such a context the Copenhagen (Bohr) interpretation would probably have never achieved great popularity among physicists.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0702069
I discuss a hypothetical historical context in which a Bohm-like deterministic interpretation of the Schrodinger equation could have been proposed before the Born probabilistic interpretation and argue that in such a context the Copenhagen (Bohr) interpretation would probably have never achieved great popularity among physicists.

Comments are wellcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh if so, let's Call BOHR, pi, BOHM, e, and born, i, just to make things easier to distinguish lol! Even wen i read the title, i thought it was would bohr we born if bohm was born before bohr? and i was lost

Demystifier said:
In
I discuss a hypothetical historical context in which a Bohm-like deterministic interpretation of the Schrodinger equation could have been proposed before the Born probabilistic interpretation and argue that in such a context the Copenhagen (Bohr) interpretation would probably have never achieved great popularity among physicists.

Didn't read the paper, but I can surely make one comment. Schroedinger himself was from the start not very favorable to a probabilistic interpretation. So the idea wasn't new.

lol it almost seems as if the modern interpretations look ridiculous...

PhilosophyofPhysics said:
lol it almost seems as if the modern interpretations look ridiculous...
Well, that indeed was one of the intentions of the writer. :wink:

I enjoyed the paper, despite the tongue-twisting title. Boh(e)mian Rhapsody--hilarious! I fully agree that the "Copenhagen Interpretation" would never have been taken seriously but for historical happenstance.

Jim Cushing argues similarly in his "Quantum Mechanics: Historical Contingency and the Copenhagen Hegemony" (James T. Cushing; 1994)

Wave-function

Demystifier said:
Thanks Doc Al!
Yes, I have already been informed about the book of Cushing. I will cite it in a revised version.

Nice title! And interesting!

AND: I'd suggest that you look at http://www.fritz-froehner.de/link01.htm and use it to helpfully modify a little more history while you're at it.

For there we see a common-sense theorem (available in 1915), which shows that any probability distribution may be represented by the absolute square of a complex Fourier polynomial.

(1) p(x) = |Y(x)|^2 = |Y(x)*|^2 = Y(x)*Y(x).

So if Bohm had been born before Born, Born's ''guessing'' might not have been needed!

(Nor Bohm's non-locality? Which would be much more to my liking.)

Regards, wm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the interesting paper, wm!

Concerning nonlocality, there is no way to avoid it in Bohm-like approaches.
In fact, the general Bell nonlocality theorem was inspired by the explicit nonlocality inherent to the Bohm interpretation.

Opting for locality.

Demystifier said:
Thanks for the interesting paper, wm!

Concerning nonlocality, there is no way to avoid it in Bohm-like approaches.
In fact, the general Bell nonlocality theorem was inspired by the explicit nonlocality inherent to the Bohm interpretation.

1. I agree.

2. To the extent there's any merit in my own struggles: They are ''inspired'' by my inability to see any valid non-locality arising from Bell's theorem.

3. In short: I believe the ''difficulties'' arise from Bell's limited (constrained) realism.

4. That way (for me) locality remains unchallenged; in full accord with relativity.

Time will tell. Regards, wm

Demystifier said:
In
If someone is interested, now a revised version (on the link above) accepted for publication in American Journal of Physics is available.

1. Would Bohr still be born if Bohm were born before Born?

It is impossible to determine an exact answer to this hypothetical question as it is based on the concept of time travel and altering historical events. However, it is likely that some version of Bohr would still be born as his existence is not solely dependent on the birth of other scientists.

2. How would Bohr's birth be affected if Bohm were born before Born?

If Bohm were born before Born, it is possible that the timeline of events leading to Bohr's birth may have been altered. However, it is also possible that Bohr's parents would have still met and conceived him in a different timeline or alternate reality.

3. Would Bohm's birth have any impact on Bohr's scientific discoveries?

Again, this is a hypothetical question that cannot be definitively answered. However, it is likely that Bohr's scientific discoveries would still have been made regardless of the timing of Bohm's birth as they were based on his own research and observations.

4. How would the scientific community view Bohr's work if Bohm were born before Born?

It is difficult to predict how the scientific community would view Bohr's work if Bohm were born before Born. It is possible that his discoveries may have been viewed in a different light or may have been attributed to someone else.

5. How would the timeline of scientific advancements be affected if Bohm were born before Born?

If Bohm were born before Born, it is possible that the timeline of scientific advancements may have been altered. However, it is also possible that other scientists would have made similar discoveries and the overall impact on the timeline may have been minimal.