Uknown object on circuit board

In summary, the conversation discusses a Staples Easy button toy and how it works. The toy contains a circuit board with a resistor, capacitor, button, and a circular black object that is likely a microchip. This chip is responsible for playing the recorded voice when the button is pressed. The technique used to attach the chip directly to the circuit board is called "Chip On Board" and is a cost-effective method. The chip is covered with black epoxy for protection. It is simply an integrated circuit and not much can be learned about its workings nowadays.
overlook1977
I took apart a Staples Easy button toy to see how it worked. Its very simple; attached to a circuit board there is a resistor, a capacitor, a button, and a circular black object that looks like a glob. The board is attached to a speaker and battery. So, something is telling this toy to say "That was Easy" when the circuit is closed, so I am guessing there is a microchip embedded in that odd circular black object. Is this indeed the chip, and if so does anyone know what this black thing/technique is called? Below is a link to a picture of the circuitboard. The object in question is at the top left.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommybear/119944332/in/set-72057594093761486/

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Blob is a chip where they keep the digital recording of the voice that you here when the button is pressed.

The technique is called "Chip On Board"
Where the IC is attached direct to a circuit board and wires from the IC connect directly to PCB. The chip is then covered with black epoxy. They do this because it is cheap.

That's just a chip or an intergrated circuit. Not much to learn how it works these days, heh.

1. What is the purpose of the unknown object on the circuit board?

The purpose of the unknown object on the circuit board could vary depending on its specific design and placement. It could serve as a resistor, capacitor, diode, transistor, or any other electronic component that is necessary for the circuit to function properly.

2. How do I identify the unknown object on the circuit board?

To identify the unknown object on the circuit board, you can use a multimeter to measure its electrical properties such as resistance, capacitance, or voltage. You can also look up the circuit diagram or consult with a more experienced colleague or technician.

3. Is the unknown object a crucial part of the circuit board?

It is difficult to determine the importance of the unknown object without knowing the specific circuit and its function. However, if the circuit is designed properly, every component plays a crucial role in the overall function of the circuit. It is best to consult with the designer or manufacturer for more information.

4. Can I remove the unknown object without affecting the circuit's performance?

It is not recommended to remove the unknown object from the circuit board without proper understanding and evaluation. The object could be critical for the circuit's function, and removing it could cause the circuit to malfunction or not work at all.

5. How can I find out more about the unknown object on the circuit board?

You can research the unknown object's markings or part number to find more information about its specifications and purpose. You can also consult with the manufacturer or a professional in the field for more insights.