Has anybody here ever taken apart an LCD monitor?

• Thread starter RetardedBastard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcd Monitor
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's plan to build their own LCD projector by taking apart an LCD monitor and the precautions they should take in doing so. They ask for advice on how long to keep the monitor unplugged and whether touching the metal frame and power supply is enough to prevent static electricity build-up. They also inquire about any other safety tips and are directed to a forum for more information.
RetardedBastard
I'm planning to "strip" or take apart an LCD monitor and build my own LCD projector to project a 10 foot video image on my wall, just like the one from Tom's hardware site.

But in order to proceed, I will have to take apart my LCD monitor and take out the LCD screen. Does anyone have any experience doing this? How long should I keep my LCD unplugged to dissipate the electricty before opening up the case so I don't shock myself? Is touching the metal frame and the power supply of the LCD enough to prevent static electricty build-up or is it advisable to invest in some anti-static wrist/mat? Any other general safety related advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
you've got it mostly. google lumenlabs and go to their forum. they have a list of the good lcd monitors to get so that you'll have an easy time.

I can understand your curiosity and desire to take apart an LCD monitor to build your own projector. However, I must caution you that taking apart electronic devices can be dangerous if not done carefully and with proper precautions.

Firstly, it is important to unplug the monitor and let it sit for at least 30 minutes before opening it up. This will allow any residual electricity to dissipate and reduce the risk of electric shock. Additionally, wearing anti-static wrist straps and using an anti-static mat can further minimize the risk of static electricity build-up.

It is also important to handle the components of the monitor with care, as they are delicate and can be easily damaged. Be sure to use proper tools and follow any instructions or guides you may find online. If you are unsure about any steps, it is best to seek guidance from a professional or someone with experience in dismantling LCD monitors.

In terms of safety, it is important to be aware of any potential hazards such as sharp edges or small parts that may pose a choking hazard. It is also advisable to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to prevent any injuries.

In summary, while taking apart an LCD monitor may seem like a fun and exciting project, it is important to prioritize safety and proceed with caution. If you are unsure about any steps or do not have experience with dismantling electronic devices, it may be best to seek guidance from a professional or consider alternative methods for building a projector.

1. What tools do I need to take apart an LCD monitor?

To take apart an LCD monitor, you will need a screwdriver, pliers, and possibly a pry tool. It is important to use the correct size and type of screwdriver to avoid damaging the monitor.

2. Is it safe to take apart an LCD monitor?

Taking apart an LCD monitor can be dangerous if you do not take the necessary precautions. Before attempting to disassemble the monitor, make sure it is unplugged and that you are wearing protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses.

3. Can I reassemble the LCD monitor after taking it apart?

It is possible to reassemble the LCD monitor after taking it apart, but it requires some technical knowledge and skill. If you are not familiar with electronics and their components, it is best to leave the reassembly to a professional.

4. What should I do with the parts once I have taken the LCD monitor apart?

If you are not planning on reassembling the LCD monitor, it is important to properly dispose of the parts. Many electronic stores and recycling centers offer services for recycling electronic components.

5. Why would someone want to take apart an LCD monitor?

There are several reasons why someone may want to take apart an LCD monitor. It could be for repair purposes, to salvage working components, or for educational purposes. However, it is important to note that taking apart a monitor may void its warranty.