Subrings of a Ring: Intersection as Subring

In summary: Since 0 and 1 must be in any ring, they must be in A and B and so in C.0 has to be in any ring, but a subring doesn't doesn't have to contain the multiplicative identity (assuming the original ring even has one). A good example is 2Z in Z.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

Show that the intersection of any two subrings of a ring is a subring.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems abstract.

suppose a+b=c and a*b=d

Then if c is in A and B (where A and B are subrings) then the intersection of A and B denoted by C contains c and if C contains more the one element then it must contain a and b.

My argument may not be general enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
The argument doesn't seem to get to the point - you probably should use a "subring test theorem", here is one description on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subring_test

So take subrings A, B, and show the intersection satisfies the subring test.

pivoxa15 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the intersection of any two subrings of a ring is a subring.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems abstract.

suppose a+b=c and a*b=d

Then if c is in A and B (where A and B are subrings) then the intersection of A and B denoted by C contains c and [/b]if C contains more the one element then it must contain a and b.[/b]
How does this follow? the way you have said it, c is just a member of C and has nothing to do with a and b. (There may be many different a and b such that a+ b= c for a given c.)
You need to show "if a and b are in C, then -a is in C, a+ b is in C, and a*b is in C. Since 0 and 1 must be in any ring, they must be in A and B and so in C.

0 has to be in any ring, but a subring doesn't doesn't have to contain the multiplicative identity (assuming the original ring even has one). A good example is 2Z in Z.

Of course, that's entirely beside the point, but the question has already been answered, and I like being persnickety.

Mystic998 said:
0 has to be in any ring, but a subring doesn't doesn't have to contain the multiplicative identity (assuming the original ring even has one). A good example is 2Z in Z.

Of course, that's entirely beside the point, but the question has already been answered, and I like being persnickety.
I think the definition that rings have '1' is sufficiently pervasive that it should be assumed when not otherwise specified... honestly, the magma algebra system is the only context I've ever seen where a "ring" is not used to mean a unital associative algebra.

HallsofIvy said:
How does this follow? the way you have said it, c is just a member of C and has nothing to do with a and b. (There may be many different a and b such that a+ b= c for a given c.)
You need to show "if a and b are in C, then -a is in C, a+ b is in C, and a*b is in C. Since 0 and 1 must be in any ring, they must be in A and B and so in C.

So the answer is quite simple?

Yes, it is quite simple.

Let a and b be in the intersection of A and B, then a+ b is in A because ______

I still think the joke that goes 'I pronounce 'RNG' as wrong' is uproariously funny.

1) What is the definition of a subring?

A subring is a subset of a given ring that is also a ring under the same operations and with the same identity element.

2) How is the intersection of two subrings related to the original ring?

The intersection of two subrings is also a subring of the original ring. This means that it follows the same operations and identity element as the original ring.

3) Can a ring have more than one subring?

Yes, a ring can have an infinite number of subrings. Any subset of a ring that follows the same operations and identity element can be considered a subring.

4) Are subrings always smaller than the original ring?

Not necessarily. A subring can have the same number of elements as the original ring, but it must still follow the same operations and identity element to be considered a subring.

5) How are subrings useful in mathematics?

Subrings allow us to study smaller, more manageable structures within a larger ring. They also help us understand the properties and behaviors of the original ring by looking at the properties and behaviors of its subrings.