Simple Harmonic Motion in daily life

In summary: But again, can this be described as simple harmonic motion?In summary, I don't think that the daily movement of a student from home to university then again from university to home is an example of simple harmonic motion.
Lillyotv
Do you think that the daily movement of a student from home to university then again from university to home is an example of simple harmonic motion ?
Please give the arguments in support of your point of view.

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a 'bookwork' problem to me, as does your question on C++. What do you think?

Following up with Hootenanny's comment, what do you think is meant by the word "simple" in "simple harmonic motion"?

Btw, there is nothing wrong with asking homework questions, just please post them in the homework section of the forums. Also, show that you put some of your own effort into it.

Lillyotv said:
Do you think that the daily movement of a student from home to university then again from university to home is an example of simple harmonic motion ?
No, I don't, but I'm not giving my arguments until you've given yours! :tongue2:

Lillyotv said:

My answer is NO. Tell me why? Start by asking yourself, what kind of information is needed to create a mathematical model using a trigonometric (in this case sine or cosine) function?

Thanks for the responses..it is actually a discussion question.
As for my attempt, here is what I think:
I think it is not an example of SHM because SHM depends on time which is constant. Going from uni to home and back is not constant time and the distance also may not always be constant. Also its not happening in repitition as there is always a gap between returning back to uni.
But I think I have yet to understand the full concept of it all...kindly help me here to explain exactly why...
Thanks so far!:)

symbolipoint said:
My answer is NO. Tell me why? Start by asking yourself, what kind of information is needed to create a mathematical model using a trigonometric (in this case sine or cosine) function?
Ok, for a trig function I need time, right? But how would I relate the 2 together?

belliott4488 said:
No, I don't, but I'm not giving my arguments until you've given yours! :tongue2:
I have posted my arguments...or my idea...kindly elaborate and share yours:)

It depends if the discussion is based off of a student going from home to the university and back again in a "perfect world" (scientifically speaking) As with most physics courses, all the stuff that makes a question difficult is usually neglected. So if you look at it from that point of view, you might be able to justify it as SHM.

Just a thought.

Simple harmonic motion generally comes about from a potential that can be reasonable well approximated by a quadratic function. I don't see any way to do that for someone's comings and goings, and therefore don't see how this motion could be described as harmonic. Periodic, yes; harmonic, no.

dingpud said:
It depends if the discussion is based off of a student going from home to the university and back again in a "perfect world" (scientifically speaking) As with most physics courses, all the stuff that makes a question difficult is usually neglected. So if you look at it from that point of view, you might be able to justify it as SHM.

Just a thought.
Very good point...I would agree with you there..SHM can be possible if it 'the perfect world'...otherwise it would be simple speed time story...

belliott4488 said:
Simple harmonic motion generally comes about from a potential that can be reasonable well approximated by a quadratic function. I don't see any way to do that for someone's comings and goings, and therefore don't see how this motion could be described as harmonic. Periodic, yes; harmonic, no.
Yes, periodic..I agree...that too if the same amount of time is taken each time and no obstacle is in the way..

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point. It follows a specific pattern and is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. Where can we observe SHM in daily life?

SHM can be observed in many natural phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the swinging of a child on a swing, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a spring. It can also be seen in man-made devices, such as the movement of a car's shock absorbers or the oscillation of a clock's pendulum.

3. What are the key factors that affect SHM?

The key factors that affect SHM are the mass of the object, the strength of the restoring force, and the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation. These factors determine the period and frequency of the motion.

4. How is SHM different from other types of motion?

SHM differs from other types of motion in that it follows a predictable pattern and is characterized by a restoring force that always points towards the equilibrium point. Other types of motion, such as free fall or projectile motion, do not have a restoring force and may follow a more complex path.

5. What are the applications of SHM in daily life?

SHM has numerous applications in daily life, including in timekeeping devices such as clocks and watches, in musical instruments, and in shock absorbers and springs in vehicles. It is also used in the study of earthquakes and other natural phenomena, as well as in the development of mechanical and electrical systems.