Most powerful machine ever constructed?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, while there is some debate about whether power or energy is the defining factor, the most powerful machine ever constructed is likely a nuclear weapon, with estimates of 10^17 joules or 10^22 watts. However, if energy is the measure, the Earth's kinetic energy in rotation around the Sun may surpass this, with a reported 2.6 x 10^29 joules. Other contenders mentioned were the Saturn V rocket and particle accelerators.
Holocene
Does anyone know what the most powerful machine ever constructed might be, say in terms of energy produced?

I've heard it is the Saturn V rocket, but I'm willing to bet one of the existing particle accelerators could surpass that.

Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nuclear reactor?

You need to define properly the "power" you are after. Particle accelerators run on electricity, and do not reach such high power consumption as you might imagine, because in the end the problem is not so much to burn as much power as possible, but to impart the energy in the particles accelerated. Most of the energy at the LHC for instance will be stored in the magnetic fields, not in the beams of particles, and is of the order of several GJ. I think you are right when saying this is more than the energy developed by Saturn V, although this is counter intuitive to me. I did some rough estimation, because the exact dynamics would require more data than I found. In any case, this must be way less than the several MT developed by some nuclear weapons, which are of the order of millions of GJ. That would be the most powerful machines ever constructed, although the energy is merely released and not controlled, which could be considered pretty useless. :frown:

You said energy - did you mean power? The Saturn V (stage 1) produced 141,000 MW of power - but only for about 2.5 minutes. Or 5,900 MWh. A typical nuclear reactor puts out 1,000 MW. So a Saturn V first stage put out as much energy in 2.5 minutes as a nuclear plant does in 6 hours.

russ_watters said:
You said energy - did you mean power? The Saturn V (stage 1) produced 141,000 MW of power - but only for about 2.5 minutes. Or 5,900 MWh. A typical nuclear reactor puts out 1,000 MW. So a Saturn V first stage put out as much energy in 2.5 minutes as a nuclear plant does in 6 hours.

Wow, I didnt realize it was that much.

russ_watters said:
You said energy - did you mean power?
That is indeed the whole question. When I mentionned LHC magnets, that was in terms of stored energy, and because particle accelerators were mentionned by the OP. I thought nuclear bombs were relevant, because (as far as I know) they output the largest power. But indeed, a nuclear plant running for several years can outgrow in energy pretty much anything else.

So, a good reference in terms of huge amounts of energy would be the total kinetic energy of the Earth in rotation around the Sun. I did not check, wikipedia gives [tex]2.6\times 10^{29}[/tex] J. How many hours of a typical nuclear plant ? :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Wow a gigaJoule!

If we go for power, and human-made, then I think that a thermonuclear bomb wins the contest. A megaton is 4.184 petajoules (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiloton ), your typical thermonuclear weapon is a 10-20 megaton (although the Soviets made a 100 megaton banger), so we are talking about 100 petajoules, or ~ 10^17 joule. The energy-delivering explosion itself takes about 10 microseconds (this is an educated guess of mine, given that that's about the time it takes for the shock wave to reach the thermonuclear part and hence blow it apart).

So we are talking here of a 10^22 Watt device - which, granted, doesn't work a long time.

cumulonimbus!

Mt. Saint Helins?THE SUN!

Pythagorean said:
cumulonimbus!

Mt. Saint Helins?

THE SUN!

Were they constructed?

out of whack said:
Were they constructed?

Allegedly, and it only took a 5 days.

1. What is the most powerful machine ever constructed?

The most powerful machine ever constructed is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) located at CERN in Switzerland. It is a particle accelerator that is used to study the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe.

2. How does the Large Hadron Collider work?

The LHC works by accelerating beams of particles, usually protons, to nearly the speed of light in opposite directions. These beams are then collided at four points along the 27-kilometer-long ring, creating conditions similar to those just after the Big Bang. Scientists then study the particles that are produced in these collisions.

3. Why was the Large Hadron Collider built?

The LHC was built to help scientists answer some of the most fundamental questions about our universe, such as the origins of mass and the existence of dark matter. It also allows researchers to test and refine the theories of particle physics.

4. What are some of the potential risks of the Large Hadron Collider?

Some people have expressed concerns about the potential dangers of the LHC, such as creating a black hole or causing a catastrophic event. However, extensive safety studies have been conducted and no evidence suggests that the LHC poses any significant risk to the Earth or its inhabitants.

5. What have been some of the major discoveries made using the Large Hadron Collider?

The LHC has made numerous groundbreaking discoveries, including the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012, which confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and gave scientists a better understanding of how particles gain mass. It has also helped to further our understanding of antimatter and the quark-gluon plasma, a state of matter that existed just after the Big Bang.