Norman Window - maximum light

In summary, the given conversation involves finding a function that models the area of a Norman window with a perimeter of 30 ft, and determining the dimensions that admit the greatest amount of light. The area equation is given as A = 15x - (1/2)x^2 - (1/8)πx^2, and the maximum area is found to be 465.51ft2 at x = 8.40ft. The graph of this equation is a parabola with one maximum.
nikita33

Homework Statement

a norman window has the shape of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle. A norman window with the perimeter 30 ft. is to be constructed.

a.) find a function that models the area of the window.
b.) find the dimensions of the window that admit the greatest amount of light

Homework Equations

part a.) area= LW (this problem, it will be xy, with x as the width)
semicircle circumference= 1/2[tex]\Pi[/tex]x s
part b.) i don't know and I cannot use derivatives or calculus, which is why I am having
trouble here.

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)
P= x + 2y + 1/2[tex]\Pi[/tex]x = 30
2y = 30 - 1/2[tex]\Pi[/tex]x - x
y = 15 - 1/2x - 1/4[tex]\Pi[/tex]x

A= (x)(15 - 1/2x - 1/4[tex]\Pi[/tex]x) + 1/2[tex]\Pi[/tex](1/2x)2
(x)(15 - 1/2x - 1/4[tex]\Pi[/tex]x) + 1/8[tex]\Pi[/tex]x2
hence A= 15x - 1/2x2 - 1/8[tex]\Pi[/tex]2

b.)
i know the area equation is correct. I have no idea as to how to begin to figure out the max dimensions for the light. i would appreciate any clues. and sorry if the pi isn't looking right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your area equation is correct,

This type polynomial has a special name; what is it?

What do we call the graph of this type of polynomial?

What do we know about the number of (in this case) maximums this graph has, and how do we find it/them?

well, on the area equation, i did write it wrong, it was supposed to be:

A = 15x - 1/2x2 - 1/8[tex]\Pi[/tex]x2

anyway, there are 2 x2, so i don't know. i can only see there being one maximum. i don't know, maybe its because the pi is in there and there are 2 numbers of the same degree, i just don't know because i have never done a problem like this. i put the area equation in the calculator, like i should have done in the beginning, with the pi and everything and the max is x=8.40. i know that is also correct and i don't know why i didnt try that before.

so, putting it into the y (or height) formula, 15 - 1/2(8.40) - 1/4[tex]\Pi[/tex](8.40) = 4.20

and the max area would be 465.51ft2

my book gives a long, completely different way of going about the solution that i can't figure out by looking at it. I am not sure if any of this is what you meant, but thanks for taking the time to reply and get me thinking.

The last two terms in your equation for A can be written

- (1/2 + (1/8)pi) x2

The graph of your equation is a parabola which opens down (the coefficient of x2 is negative) and thus has one maximum.

You were on the right track! This is not an easy problem.

What is a Norman Window?

A Norman Window is a type of architectural window design that consists of a large rectangular pane of glass surrounded by four smaller panes of glass. It is named after the Norman style of architecture, popularized during the Middle Ages.

What is the purpose of a Norman Window?

The purpose of a Norman Window is to allow maximum natural light into a room while still providing structural support. The smaller panes of glass help distribute the weight of the larger pane and prevent it from breaking.

How does a Norman Window maximize light?

A Norman Window maximizes light by utilizing a large central pane of glass, which allows more light to enter the room compared to traditional windows with multiple smaller panes. The smaller panes also help to prevent shadows and allow light to reach all corners of the room.

What factors affect the amount of light a Norman Window can let in?

The size and orientation of the window, as well as the type of glass used, can affect the amount of light a Norman Window can let in. Additionally, the placement of the window in relation to other structures or objects outside can also impact the amount of light that enters the room.

Are there any drawbacks to using a Norman Window for maximum light?

One potential drawback of using a Norman Window for maximum light is that it may let in too much heat during hot summer months, leading to increased energy costs for cooling. Additionally, the larger pane of glass may be more susceptible to breakage or damage compared to smaller panes used in traditional window designs.