Work Problem, opposing forces (no friction)

In summary, the block is subject to two opposing horizontal forces, T1 = 32 N and T2 = 19 N, causing it to travel a displacement of 11 m to the right. The surface has no friction. The work done on the block by T1 is 325 J, by T2 is -290 J, and by gravity and the normal force is 0 J. The net work done on the block by all forces is 35 J.
Bones

Homework Statement

In the figure below,

http://www.webassign.net/userimages/jshemwell@lincolnpark.il/Net%20Force/Two_opposing_horizontal.gif

T1 = 32 N, and T2 = 19 N. The surface has no friction. The block travels a displacement of 11 m to the right as a result of these forces.
a. What is the work done on the block by T1?

b. What is the work done on the block by T2?

c. What is the work done on the block by gravity?

d. What is the work done on the block by the normal force?

e. What is the net work done on the block by all forces?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got (32N)(11m)(Cos0)=325 J for a.
I got (19N)(11m)(Cos180)=-290 J for b.
I got 0 for c. and d.
I am not sure how to find e. and did I do the rest of the problems correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I figured it out ;)

Your calculations for parts a and b are correct. For part c, you are correct that the work done by gravity is 0 since the displacement is horizontal and gravity acts vertically. For part d, the work done by the normal force is also 0 since it is perpendicular to the displacement.

For part e, the net work done on the block is the sum of the work done by all forces. So you can simply add the values you calculated for parts a and b. The net work done would be 325 J + (-290 J) = 35 J.

In terms of whether your calculations are correct, it's important to pay attention to the direction of the displacement and the angle between the force and displacement. In this case, the displacement is to the right and both forces are acting horizontally, so the angle between them would be 180 degrees. Also, make sure to use the appropriate trigonometric function (cosine or sine) depending on the angle given in the problem.

What is a "work problem"?

A work problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the amount of work done by opposing forces on an object.

What are opposing forces?

Opposing forces are forces that act in opposite directions on an object. In the context of a work problem, these forces are typically equal in magnitude, but opposite in direction.

Why is friction not considered in work problems?

Friction is not considered in work problems because it is a non-conservative force. This means that the work done by friction depends on the path taken by the object, rather than just its initial and final positions.

How do you calculate work in a work problem with no friction?

In a work problem with no friction, the work done by the opposing forces is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the object. This can be calculated using the equation W = ΔKE = (1/2)mv2f - (1/2)mv2i, where m is the mass of the object, vi is the initial velocity, and vf is the final velocity.

Can work be negative in a work problem with no friction?

Yes, work can be negative in a work problem with no friction. This occurs when the opposing forces are acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy.