What is a good beginner's book for Aeronautical Engineering?

In summary, the person is a college freshman interested in aeronautical engineering. They are looking for a good book for beginners on the subject and someone suggests "Introduction to Flight" by John D. Anderson. The book covers basics such as lift, drag, and performance and some knowledge of calculus is helpful. The person also mentions that the book may be expensive but an older version is available on Google books.
hihaihigh
I am a freshmen in college, and I am really interested in Airplanes and is considering Aeronautical Engineering. Right now I'm just in the General Engineering field, so I was wondering if there was anyone out there that may know a good book (for beginners) on Aeronautical Engineering.

Thanks.. anything/everything helps.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for but Introduction to Flight by John D. Anderson is a pretty good book that touches on many of the basics of Aerospace Engineering. It gives a brief background of the field and explains the concepts of lift, drag, performance, etc. Some knowledge of Calculus would be beneficial to understanding the book.

Just as a warning this is a textbook, my introductory class uses this book so it is expensive to get the latest version. However, I do remember seeing an older version available on Google books at one point.

As a scientist in the field of aeronautical engineering, I would recommend the book "Introduction to Flight" by John D. Anderson Jr. This book provides a comprehensive and easy-to-understand introduction to the principles of aeronautics, including topics such as aerodynamics, aircraft performance, and propulsion. It also includes real-world examples and practical applications, making it a great resource for beginners in the field. Additionally, I would suggest exploring online resources such as NASA's website and educational videos on YouTube to supplement your learning. Good luck in your studies and pursuit of aeronautical engineering!

What is aeronautical engineering?

Aeronautical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves applying principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create safe and efficient flying machines.

What does an aeronautical engineer do?

An aeronautical engineer is responsible for designing and testing aircraft and spacecraft, as well as overseeing their production and maintenance. They also conduct research to improve existing designs and develop new technologies for flight.

What skills are needed to become an aeronautical engineer?

To become an aeronautical engineer, one must have strong skills in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They must also have a good understanding of aerodynamics, materials science, and mechanical engineering. Communication and problem-solving skills are also important in this field.

What are the job prospects for aeronautical engineers?

The job outlook for aeronautical engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 3% from 2019 to 2029. This is due to the demand for new and improved aircraft and spacecraft, as well as the need for maintenance and updates on existing ones.

What are the differences between aeronautical and astronautical engineering?

Aeronautical engineering focuses on aircraft and spacecraft that operate within Earth's atmosphere, while astronautical engineering deals with vehicles that operate outside of Earth's atmosphere. Aeronautical engineers must consider factors such as lift, drag, and air resistance, while astronautical engineers have to consider the effects of gravity and the vacuum of space.