Extra copies of genes/chromosomes

• Thread starter bioquest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of preventing or repairing mutations that contribute to aging by adding or having enough copies of genes or chromosomes. The speaker has a fascination with aging and mutations but does not have a deep understanding of the topic. They express a desire to have a cell sequenced to view mutations, but are informed that this discussion is not based on scientific evidence and will be closed.
bioquest
Is it possible to make it so that all mutations that contribute to aging are prevented/and or repaired etc through adding and/or having enough copies of genes and/or chromosomes and/or through adding and/or having enough extra copies of genes and/or chromosomes etc or would that not be possible...why/why not..only answer if you are answering as accurately as possible..thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Why do you have this fascination for aging and mutations? Do you even understand what it means on a cell-biological basis to age?

Im just OCD and I had some pretty traumatic stuff happen to me so I might have kind of a fear of death now
no I dnt understand aging I just want to get a cell sequenced so I can view the mutations inside it so if anyone here can sequence cells or anything please let mek now

Last edited:
You are at the wrong place if you want to have a cell sequenced. This discussion has no scientific basis and will be closed.

What are extra copies of genes/chromosomes?

Extra copies of genes or chromosomes refer to additional copies of DNA segments that are present in an organism's genome. These extra copies can be the result of genetic mutations or errors during DNA replication.

What are the effects of having extra copies of genes/chromosomes?

The effects of having extra copies of genes/chromosomes can vary depending on the specific genes/chromosomes involved. In some cases, it can lead to genetic disorders or developmental abnormalities. However, extra copies of certain genes/chromosomes can also provide advantages, such as increased genetic diversity or improved resistance to certain diseases.

How are extra copies of genes/chromosomes detected?

Extra copies of genes/chromosomes can be detected through various methods, including karyotyping, fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH), and comparative genomic hybridization (CGH). These techniques allow scientists to visualize and analyze an organism's chromosomes and identify any extra copies.

Can extra copies of genes/chromosomes be inherited?

Yes, extra copies of genes/chromosomes can be inherited from parents. This can occur through several mechanisms, such as chromosomal duplication events during meiosis or the transmission of genetic mutations.

Are there any treatments for conditions caused by extra copies of genes/chromosomes?

There are currently no specific treatments for conditions caused by extra copies of genes/chromosomes. However, certain symptoms or complications associated with these conditions can be managed through various therapies and interventions. In some cases, genetic counseling and testing may also be recommended to help individuals and families understand the risks and implications of having extra copies of genes/chromosomes.