RMS of square, sine and triangle waves

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on calculating the RMS for different types of waves. They are able to easily integrate for sine and square waves, but are unsure about the process for triangle waves. They mention using piecewise functions and strange functions, but ultimately realize they can use a simple piecewise definition for the triangle wave. They also ask about finding the integral for a square wave, to which it is suggested to use the graph for the simplest method. The individual expresses their appreciation for the help and understanding.
Juan Pablo
I'm trying to calculate the RMS for square, triangle and sine waves. I can easily do the integrtion for sine waves and for square waves by looking at the graphic and getting the areas. It doesn't seem as easy for triangle waves since its squared form looks much more complicated and I'm not really sure how to calculate the integrals. I appreciate any guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to integrate without graphs? I.e. integrating using the equation for the wave?

Yeah sure, but most of the expressions for triangle waves use strange functions and I'm not sure how I would find the antiderivative of the triangle wave.

The expressions for a triangle wave should just be a bunch of linear functions next to each other...which will turn into parabolic functions when you square them. What strange functions are you talking about?

For example, a triangle wave may be: y=x for 0<x<1; y=-x+2 for 1<x<3; etc.

I feel like an idiot. I didn't realize I could use a piecewise function. Thanks! In the case of the square wave should I just use the graph for the integral or is there a more elegant way to do it? By strange function I meant the ones here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_wave

The function there is a Fourier series expansion of a triangle wave. It's useful for some applications, though not this one particularly. Just use the piecewise definition, it's much easier.

I don't see any reason for the square wave to do any more than look at the area underneath the graph. That is the simplest method, and integrating is doing the same thing.

Thanks again! You really cleared out everything.

What is the RMS of a square wave?

The root mean square (RMS) of a square wave is equal to its amplitude divided by the square root of 2. This means that the RMS value of a square wave with an amplitude of 1 volt is approximately 0.707 volts.

How is RMS calculated for a sine wave?

The RMS value of a sine wave is equal to its amplitude divided by the square root of 2. This means that the RMS value of a sine wave with an amplitude of 1 volt is also approximately 0.707 volts.

What is the RMS of a triangle wave?

The RMS value of a triangle wave is equal to its amplitude divided by the square root of 3. This means that the RMS value of a triangle wave with an amplitude of 1 volt is approximately 0.577 volts.

Why is RMS used to represent these types of waves?

RMS is used to represent these types of waves because it is a measure of the effective or average power of a signal. This is important for calculating the power dissipated by a circuit or the energy transmitted by a signal.

Can the RMS value be higher than the peak value for these types of waves?

No, the RMS value cannot be higher than the peak value for these types of waves. The RMS value is always lower than the peak value because it takes into account the entire waveform, not just its peak amplitude.