Build a High School Windmill for Your Science Fair | Simple Designs & Tips

• Thread starter Boogeyman
  • Start date
In summary, the person is thinking about participating in a science fair competition and they need to build a windmill that can generate electricity. They've looked on the Internet and all the designs and instructions they've found are kind of complicated. They feel that wind turbines are not as complicated as people are led to believe and they have a simple windmill that they made for $50 that easily makes the axles and gears spin. They're not sure what motor they'll use yet, but they have 4 different choices of perm mag motors at the house.
Boogeyman
I'm thinking about participating in a science fair competition and I need to build a windmill capable of generating electricity. I've looked on the Internet but all the designs and instructions I've found are kind of complicated..

Just so you have an idea of how complex we need the windmill to be we're in High School.

So if anyone could give me a helpful link or assist me in any other way I would appreciate that.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Watch your expectations, you want to generate electricity, but not power. Spin a magnet in a coil with 'wind'.

I'm not sure what you mean Doug.. I do want to generate power.

Boogeyman said:
I do want to generate power.
How much? Power, be it wind or electrical, is moment times angular rate.

Unfortunately, wind turbines are very complicated devices. Effectively converting wind energy into useful electricity requires a lot of complex components that can't just work, but have to work well together.

If you're really dead set about building a wind turbine, then I would suggest you buy the more complicated parts commercially and focus on building the more simpler parts. That is buy the power controllers, speed controller, and generator off the shelf and just focus on building the turbine itself.

Theres a lot of kits out there that might fit your needs too.

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=584

There are a bunch of different ways. A perm magnet motor is a good generator. Those are what are used in most common battery powered toys. the windmill can be one of a number of designs. simple drag type, (like the wind speed meter) vertical axis with blades, prop type, etc
here is a link to an old (1910) book that explains the early versions very well.
http://books.google.com/books?id=oF...motors&lr=&as_brr=4&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false
I feel that wind turbines are not near as complicated as people are led to believe
my latest windmill is made from a discarded ornimental "old timey" style one. $50 in pipe fittings, and the drive axles from a riding lawn mower transaxle. The "stock" 13" turbine easily makes the axles and gears spin. I plan on a total diameter of 3 ft, and want to charge commercially available cordless tool batteries. (and light it up)
not sure what motor I'll use yet, but I have 4 different choices of perm mag motors at the house

dr

What is a windmill/turbine?

A windmill or turbine is a machine that converts the energy from wind into mechanical power. This mechanical power can then be used to perform various tasks, such as grinding grain or generating electricity.

How does a windmill/turbine work?

A windmill or turbine works by capturing the kinetic energy from the wind and converting it into rotational energy. This is achieved through the use of blades or sails that are attached to a rotor. As the wind blows, it turns the blades, which in turn rotate the rotor. This rotational motion is then used to power a generator, which produces electricity.

What are the benefits of using windmills/turbines?

Windmills and turbines have several benefits, including being a renewable energy source, producing clean electricity, and reducing dependence on fossil fuels. They also have a minimal impact on the environment and can be used in remote locations.

What are the different types of windmills/turbines?

There are several types of windmills and turbines, including horizontal-axis and vertical-axis wind turbines. Horizontal-axis turbines are the most common and have blades that rotate around a horizontal axis. Vertical-axis turbines have blades that rotate around a vertical axis and are often used for smaller-scale applications.

How do I choose the right windmill/turbine for my needs?

Choosing the right windmill or turbine depends on several factors, including your energy needs, location, and budget. It is important to research different types of turbines and consult with a professional to determine the best option for your specific needs.