How to calculate magnitude of magnetic field

In summary, the problem involves electrons being sent through a potential difference of 2500V and then entering a transverse magnetic field where they move in a circular arc with a radius of 22cm. The equation B=u0I/2Pi*r can be used to calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field, but the solving strategy may involve calculating the kinetic energy of the electrons and using that to find the force and ultimately the magnetic field.
Aquam

Homework Statement

Ill try to translate as good as possible.

Electrons are sent through potential difference of 2500V. Then they get into transverse magnetic field where they move in circular arc with 22cm radius. What is the magnitude of magnetic field?

So the radius is= 22cm
and the potential difference is 2500V.

Homework Equations

B= u0 I / 2 Pi r

I don't know how to calculate I out of this formula, so i can calculate B (magnitude of m.f.)

Or i have missed the solution to this problem completely? Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is for calculating B from current, but in this question the B field is already there before the electrons went into, and this B field also accounts for the centripetal force which pulls the electrons into circular motion, provided the fact that the electrons have velocities after accelerated by the potential, and the B field is transverse.

So I guess the solving strategy is like this: get the kinetic energy of electrons from the 2500V potential difference, and together with the radius you can have the acceleration, just like we did in classical mechanics. Then the force F is obvious and B can be derived from F = Bqv.

I haven't touched EM for years, so cannot promise this answer is right.

Good luck.

1. How do you calculate the magnitude of a magnetic field?

To calculate the magnitude of a magnetic field, you can use the equation B = μ₀I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

2. What units are used to measure magnetic field strength?

The SI unit for magnetic field strength is Tesla (T). However, smaller units such as Gauss (G) are also commonly used.

3. Can the magnitude of a magnetic field be negative?

No, the magnitude of a magnetic field is always a positive value. The direction of the magnetic field can be indicated by a positive or negative sign, but the magnitude itself is always positive.

4. How is the magnitude of a magnetic field affected by distance?

The magnitude of a magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the current. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic field strength decreases.

5. What is the difference between magnetic field strength and magnetic flux density?

Magnetic field strength refers to the force exerted by a magnetic field on a moving charge, while magnetic flux density refers to the number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area. They are related, but not the same, as magnetic flux density also takes into account the area over which the field is acting.