Acceleration as a function of position, and time taken to travel a distance

In summary, the conversation is about finding the time taken to travel a certain distance if the initial acceleration and velocity of a body are known. The acceleration is a function of position and the method suggested involves integration to solve for time. However, there is some confusion about the final steps and a constant of integration is missing.
jmz34
I've been doing a problem that requires me to find the time taken to travel a certain distance if I know the initial acceleration of a body at the starting position and its initial velocity (starts from rest). The acceleration is a function of position a=-GM/(Ro^2).

So say a body is released from rest a distance Ro from a point mass, and it's initial acceleration is that stated above- how would I go about finding the time taken to travel this distance (from Ro to the origin.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jmz34! :wink:

so r'' = -GM/r2 ?

multiply both sides by r' …

r'r'' = -GMr'/r2

… and integrate :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi jmz34! :wink:

so r'' = -GM/r2 ?

multiply both sides by r' …

r'r'' = -GMr'/r2

… and integrate :smile:

Using this method I did this:

d/dt(0.5*(r')^2)=(-GM/r^2)r'

then integrated once and simplified to get

(dr/dt)^2=2GM/r

solving this for t gives:

t=(1/3)*SQRT(2/GM)*Ro^(3/2)

If you could have a quick look at my method I'd be very grateful.

Thanks alot.

jmz34 said:
Using this method I did this:

d/dt(0.5*(r')^2)=(-GM/r^2)r'

then integrated once and simplified to get

(dr/dt)^2=2GM/r.

yes, but after that i get a bit lost …

you seem to have lost r completely, and you don't have a constant of integration :confused:

I would approach this problem by using the equations of motion and the principles of calculus. First, I would use the equation of motion for constant acceleration, which is s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the distance traveled, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken. In this case, the initial velocity is 0 since the body starts from rest.

Next, I would use the given acceleration formula, a = -GM/(Ro^2), and substitute it into the equation. This would give me s = 1/2(-GM/(Ro^2))t^2.

To solve for t, I would use calculus and take the derivative of the distance equation with respect to time, which would give me the velocity equation, v = at. Then, I would set the velocity equal to the initial velocity (0) and solve for t. This would give me t = sqrt(2Ro^3/GM).

Therefore, the time taken to travel from Ro to the origin would be sqrt(2Ro^3/GM). This calculation assumes that the body is traveling in a straight line towards the origin and that there are no other external forces acting on it. I hope this helps to solve your problem.

1. What is acceleration as a function of position?

Acceleration as a function of position refers to the rate of change of an object's velocity as it moves along a specific path or position. It is a measure of how much an object's speed changes over a given distance.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken.

3. How does acceleration change with time?

Acceleration can either be constant or changing with time. Constant acceleration occurs when the velocity of an object changes at a steady rate, while changing acceleration occurs when the velocity changes at a non-uniform rate.

4. How is the time taken to travel a distance related to acceleration?

The time taken to travel a certain distance is directly related to acceleration. The greater the acceleration, the shorter the time taken to travel the distance. This relationship can be represented by the formula t = √(2d/a), where t is time, d is distance, and a is acceleration.

5. How can acceleration as a function of position be applied in real life?

Acceleration as a function of position has numerous practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in the design and testing of vehicles and machinery, understanding the motion of objects in sports, and in predicting the behavior of moving objects in physics and engineering.