Determine Series Convergence Given Convergence of a Power Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence/divergence of three series based on given information about a power series. The power series converges at x=-4 and diverges at x=6, suggesting a convergence interval of (-4,6). The conversation also mentions the guarantee of convergence on the interval of (-4,4) due to the power series being centered around 0 and converging at x=-4.
BraedenP

Homework Statement

I am asked to comment on the convergence/divergence of three series based on some given information about a power series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_nx^n[/tex] converges at x=-4 and diverges x=6.

I won't ask for help on all of the series, so here's the first one:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_n[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried reasoning that the question is suggesting a convergence interval of (-14,6) for the power series (I took -4 as the center, and 6 as the right-hand side) but the more I read the question, I don't think that's what it's suggesting. It's just commenting about divergence at those two exact points.

So now I'm stuck. Am I supposed to figure out the value of [itex]c_n[/itex] and work out the divergence of other series that way, or is there some way for me to compare these series using what I know about their centers of convergence (both are centered around 0).

Guidance would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
A power series always has an 'interval of convergence'. Since the given power series converges at -4, that interval of convergence must be at least form -4 to 4. And x= 1 is inside that interval.

And to add to Halls' hint, remember a power series converges absolutely on the interior of the interval of convergence.

Okay, thanks guys :) That makes perfect sense to me if I accept the fact that convergence is guaranteed along (-4,4). However I don't think I quite understand why convergence is guaranteed along that interval.

Is it as simple as saying that since it's centered around 0 and converges at x=-4, then the radius of convergence is 4, and thus is must also converge at x=4, forming the interval of convergence?

BraedenP said:
Okay, thanks guys :) That makes perfect sense to me if I accept the fact that convergence is guaranteed along (-4,4). However I don't think I quite understand why convergence is guaranteed along that interval.

Is it as simple as saying that since it's centered around 0 and converges at x=-4, then the radius of convergence is 4, and thus is must also converge at x=4, forming the interval of convergence?

Almost. But the radius of convergence might be greater than 4 so you don't know it is exactly 4. All you know is the radius of convergence isn't less than 4 or greater than 6. And even if the radius of convergence was 4, you wouldn't know it converged at 4.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a series in which each term is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. It can be written in the form ∑n=0∞ cnxn, where cn is the coefficient and x is the variable.

2. How do you determine if a power series converges?

To determine convergence of a power series, you can use the ratio test or the root test. The ratio test states that if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1, then the series converges. The root test states that if the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of the nth term is less than 1, then the series converges.

3. What is the relationship between the convergence of a power series and its radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence of a power series is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point at which the series still converges. The series will converge within this radius and diverge outside of it. So, the convergence of a power series is directly related to its radius of convergence.

4. Can a power series converge at its endpoints?

A power series can either converge or diverge at its endpoints, depending on the behavior of the series at those points. If the series converges at the endpoints, it is called an interval of convergence. If the series diverges at the endpoints, it is called a point of divergence.

5. Are there any other tests for determining convergence of a power series?

Yes, there are several other tests that can be used to determine convergence of a power series, such as the integral test, the comparison test, and the alternating series test. Each test has its own criteria and should be used depending on the given series.