Big Bang: Protons vs Matter - Exploring the Origins

In summary, Antonio's question is asking if it is possible that instead of matter, what was produced was individual protons, and instead of ani-matter what was produced was electrons.
aherrera
Hello,

I hope you don't mind a question from a complete novice and someone not related to physics at all. I am simply an interested observer.

My question regards the alleged Big Bang, and the follow-up theory that from that bang matter and anti matter were created. Is it possible that instead of matter, what was produced was individual protons, and instead of ani-matter what was produced was electrons? Could the collision of these particles in the early stages is what produced the static we hear as radioactive noise? Then when sufficient electrons found a proton to attach themselves to, stability was created and elements formed?

I may be off in my thinking, but I'm trying to find order in the beginning.

Thank you very much.

Antonio

Space news on Phys.org
Pair production (the primary mechanism for matter creation) produces matter-antimatter pairs, such as proton-antiproton. The big question is why did an excess of matter survive?

Thanks,

Could anti-matter, through some process, be converted to matter? Perhaps two anti-matter particles colliding?
Could Dark Matter actually be a heavier element than what we know of on Earth, and effects gravity in such a way that makes it difficult for us to detect?

I love asking questions because they make me think. I thank you for your time.

aherrera said:
Thanks,

Could anti-matter, through some process, be converted to matter? Perhaps two anti-matter particles colliding?

Two antimatter particles colliding would have the same effect as colliding two matter particles, i.e. do it with enough energy and they break up. I'm pretty sure that you could use the same techniques we use in particle accelerators to generate antimatter from matter to make matter from antimatter.
aherrera said:
Could Dark Matter actually be a heavier element than what we know of on Earth, and effects gravity in such a way that makes it difficult for us to detect?

I love asking questions because they make me think. I thank you for your time.

Dark matter is strange because it doesn't interact with normal matter except through gravity. I.e. it's invisible. What's weirder about it is that it doesn't seem to interact with itself too well either. I forget their name but there are two galaxies that have been observed to be colliding, in the process the dark matter from either galaxy has shot through the other and started to fly off by itself.

Ryan_m_b said:
Dark matter is strange because it doesn't interact with normal matter except through gravity. I.e. it's invisible. What's weirder about it is that it doesn't seem to interact with itself too well either. I forget their name but there are two galaxies that have been observed to be colliding, in the process the dark matter from either galaxy has shot through the other and started to fly off by itself.

Can I ask how that was determined? Is it because the total mass of the galaxies is now less that what the combined mass should be? Is it that the dark matter shot off as an energy release, similar to a nuclear chain reaction?

aherrera said:
Can I ask how that was determined? Is it because the total mass of the galaxies is now less that what the combined mass should be? Is it that the dark matter shot off as an energy release, similar to a nuclear chain reaction?

I've remembered the name; it's the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_Cluster" . Here's the wiki section on the dark matter detection

Wikipedia said:
The third component, the dark matter, was detected indirectly by the gravitational lensing of background objects. In theories without dark matter, such as Modified Newtonian Dynamics, the lensing would be expected to follow the baryonic matter; i.e. the X-ray gas. However, the lensing is strongest in two separated regions near the visible galaxies. This provides support for the idea that most of the mass in the cluster pair is in the form of collisionless dark matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
aherrera said:

It might seem that dark matter could be made of cold (so we don't see it glow), heavy elements. However, theoretical studies of the production of chemical elements after the Big Bang, together with observations of cosmic abundances of chemical elements today, show most of the dark matter is not made of the same type of matter that makes up ordinary stuff. By ordinary stuff, I mean things like people, planets, and stars, (and heavy elements) for which protons and neutrons make up the majority of their masses. This also rules out heavy elements and also black holes that formed from the collapse of stars, as the stars were originally made of protons and neutrons. Physicists think that dark matter requires particles that have yet to be observed directly. Protons and neutrons are examples of subatomic particles called baryons, so physicists think that dark matter is non-baryonic.
Ryan_m_b said:
I forget their name but there are two galaxies that have been observed to be colliding, in the process the dark matter from either galaxy has shot through the other and started to fly off by itself.

The Bullet Cluster is probably the most famous example.

[edit]I see that Ryan_m_b already posted this while I was typing[/edit]

Last edited:
Thank you. You've given me something to ponder. I wonder if more Dark Matter was created because of the collision.

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model for the development of the universe. It states that the universe began as a hot and dense singularity, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. What is the difference between protons and matter in the context of the Big Bang theory?

Protons are subatomic particles that make up the nucleus of an atom, while matter refers to any substance that has mass and takes up space. In the Big Bang theory, protons were created during the early stages of the universe, along with other particles such as neutrons and electrons, which ultimately formed the matter that we see today.

3. How did protons and matter form after the Big Bang?

After the Big Bang, the universe was extremely hot and dense, and particles were constantly colliding and interacting. As the universe expanded and cooled, the energy of these collisions decreased, allowing some particles to combine and form more complex particles like protons. As the universe continued to expand and cool, these protons eventually formed the matter that makes up stars, planets, and galaxies.

4. What role did protons play in the formation of the universe?

Protons played a crucial role in the formation of the universe. They were one of the first particles to form after the Big Bang, and their interactions with other particles helped shape the early universe. As more and more protons combined to form larger particles, the universe began to take shape and eventually led to the formation of stars and galaxies.

5. How does the study of protons and matter help us understand the origins of the universe?

Studying protons and matter allows us to understand the processes that took place in the early universe, such as the formation of atoms and the development of the first structures. By studying these fundamental particles, scientists can gain insights into the origins of the universe and how it has evolved over time.