Homework AnswerCalculating Force & Distance of Two Masses

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula for gravitational force in determining the motion of a moon orbiting a planet with given masses and distance. The confusion lies in the inclusion of velocity and the 1/4 distance apart. The clarification is given that the velocity is used to calculate the centripetal acceleration and the 1/4 distance apart can be found using the given distance and dividing it by 4.
vipson231
A moon is orbiting around the planet with a constant distance of 4.0 x 10^8 with...

Homework Statement

Question/w formulas are in attachment.

I know I've been given two masses, 5.5 and 7.35 x 10^ 22 kg, and a distance of 4.0 x 10^8. But what I don't understand is the speed of 950 m/s and the 1/4 distance part. I know you use the formula F=Gm1m2/r^2 formula but what do you do with the velocity that is given and how do you find the 1/4 the distance apart?

Attachments

• force-moon.jpg
    force-moon.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 428
  • formulasz.jpg
    formulasz.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
hi vipson231! :smile:
vipson231 said:
But what I don't understand is the speed of 950 m/s …

the gravitational force will be the centripetal acceleration times the mass :wink:

I already got the answer. Thank you for the clarification though =)

1. What is force and how is it measured?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between an object and its surroundings. It is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (in kilograms) by its acceleration (in meters per second squared). The formula for force is F = m * a.

3. What is distance and how is it measured?

Distance is a measurement of the amount of space between two objects. It is measured in units of meters (m).

4. How do you calculate the distance between two masses?

The distance between two masses can be calculated using the formula for gravitational force, F = G * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses, and d is the distance between them.

5. How are force and distance related?

Force and distance are inversely related, meaning that as the distance between two objects increases, the force between them decreases. This is described by the inverse square law, which states that the force between two objects is proportional to the inverse of the square of the distance between them.