Find Thrust of Rocket: 1.9x10^3 kg with 2.5x10^3 m/s

In summary, the mass of a space-research rocket and its fuel is 1.9 X 103 kg prior to ignition. Upon ignition, gas is ejected from the rocket at a speed of 2.5 X 103 m/s relative to the rocket, and fuel is consumed at a constant rate of 7.4 kg/s. The thrust of the rocket can be calculated using the expression T = 7.4 kg/s x 2.5 X 103 m/s, resulting in a thrust of 19.5 X 103 N. It is recommended to seek additional practice problems for this type of scenario in order to gain more familiarity and understanding.
recon
A space-research rocket stands vertically on its launching pad. Prior to ignition, the mass of the rocket and its fuel is 1.9 X 103 kg. On ignition, gas is ejected from the rocket at a speed of 2.5 X 103 m/s relative to the rocket, and fuel is consumed at a constant rate of 7.4 kg/s. Find the thrust of the rocket.

Can someone please check my solution?

Let the mass of both the rocket and fuel be m, and let T be the thrust. Let 'a' be the acceleration of the rocket, and g be the acceleration due to gravity. Then,

[tex]T = \frac{d(mv)}{dt} [/tex]

[tex]T = m\frac{dv}{dt} + v\frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]T = 7.4 kgs^{-1} \times 2.5 \times 10^3 ms^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]T = 19.5 \times 10^3 N[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

I'm quite unfamiliar with problems involving a rate of change of momentum brought about by a rate of change of mass. In fact, this is the only problem of its kind that I've come across in my book.

Can someone please direct me to an online source of problems of this kind? I need more practise, thanks.

You might want to look at the following thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=72176

Note that you are mixing together the rocket's acceleration [tex]a=dv/dt[/tex] while using "v" as the speed of the ejected fuel, relative to the rocket.
This is meaningless.

Although you get the right expression for the thrust (i.e, the force acting upon the rocket from the ejected fuel), your method of derivation is totally wrong.

now, the way by which i derive the rocket equation in post 4 is one way.
Later on in that thread, I'll derive it slightly differently, relying heavily upon Newton's 3.law (i.e, by relating the momentum change experienced by an ejected particle to the force acting upon it from the rocket system).

If you would be so kind to post your comments here, rather than in the thread in question, I would be grateful.
(Possibly, the thread will be made into a sticky later on, as a homework help thread)

Last edited:

What is the equation for finding thrust of a rocket?

The equation for finding the thrust of a rocket is F = m x a, where F is the thrust force, m is the mass of the rocket, and a is the acceleration.

What is the mass and velocity of the rocket?

The given mass of the rocket is 1.9x10^3 kg and the velocity is 2.5x10^3 m/s.

How do you calculate the thrust force using the given information?

To calculate the thrust force, you can use the equation F = 1.9x10^3 kg x 2.5x10^3 m/s = 4.75x10^6 N.

What is the unit for thrust force?

The unit for thrust force is Newton (N).

How does the thrust of this rocket compare to other rockets?

The thrust of this rocket, which is 4.75x10^6 N, would be considered relatively low compared to other rockets. For example, the Saturn V rocket used in the Apollo missions had a thrust of 35.1x10^6 N.