How do you measure the force of a Stirling engine?

In summary, the force of a Stirling engine is not typically measured as it can vary over time and depend on the engine's load. Instead, torque and energy (as well as efficiency) can be measured by having the engine move a load. There is potential for Stirling engines to power cars with sufficient heat, such as NASA's Mod II, but there is limited information available on this.
ageattack
I was wondering how the force of a Stirling engine was measured? I mean, for every degree Celsius that the temperatures differ. how much more force (or horse power) is the engine generating? Are there any other variables to this? What I'm getting is can Stirling engines power cars if enough heat is given? I've seen NASA's Mod II, but there isn't a whole lot of information.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You would not normally measure the force since that will vary with time and depend on how the engine is driving the load.
You could measure the torque, or the energy, (and the efficiency) - you do this by getting it to move a load around.

1. How does a Stirling engine produce force?

A Stirling engine produces force through the expansion and contraction of a working fluid, typically air, within a sealed chamber. This movement of the fluid drives a piston, which in turn generates mechanical power.

2. How do you measure the force output of a Stirling engine?

The force output of a Stirling engine can be measured by attaching a dynamometer, which measures torque and rotational speed, to the output shaft of the engine. This allows for the calculation of the engine's power output.

3. What factors affect the force output of a Stirling engine?

The force output of a Stirling engine is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the engine, the type of working fluid used, the design and size of the engine, and the speed at which the engine is running.

4. How do you calculate the force output of a Stirling engine?

The force output of a Stirling engine can be calculated by multiplying the torque measured by the dynamometer by the rotational speed of the engine. This will give the mechanical power output, which can then be converted to force using the engine's specific power output characteristics.

5. Can the force output of a Stirling engine be improved?

Yes, the force output of a Stirling engine can be improved by optimizing the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the engine, using more efficient working fluids, and improving the design and size of the engine. Additionally, incorporating regenerative cooling and advanced materials can also increase the force output of a Stirling engine.