Going into Physics from a non-Physics background

In summary, the individual is a Biochemistry major with a strong interest in topics such as Plasma Physics, Thermodynamics, Fluid Dynamics, Particle Physics, and Theories. They are wondering if it is feasible for someone with a non-physics background but with a minor in Applied Mathematics to pursue graduate studies in physics. They are also asking for recommendations on essential math courses, materials to read, and programming knowledge for students pursuing physics grad programs. Lastly, they inquire about the possibility of switching into a physics major. The core four upper-division undergraduate courses typically required by physics graduate schools are Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics, and Quantum Mechanics. Calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are also standard, with
MathewsMD
Hi,

I'm in a slightly odd situation as I am not directly enrolled in a Physics program but am highly interested in certain topics (e.g. Plasma Physics, Thermodynamics, Fluid Dynamics, Particle Physics, Theories). I am actually enrolled in a Biochemistry program but will hopefully be either majoring or minoring in Applied Mathematics. Now, besides Introductory Physics and my own reading of topics, I have not formally furthered my studies in Physics, albeit I am very interested.

My question is: for a student from a non-physics background (but one with math), is it feasible to pursue graduate studies in one of the aforementioned topics in Physics? (Sorry for the incredibly broad question!)

I currently reside in Ontario, Canada and most programs don't require the GRE, so is there any other way to really see if I'm apt for further studies in the field? Do supervisors typically take on students from different fields like this? What are some essential or highly advisable math courses a student pursuing Physics from a non-Physics background should take? What are some good materials to read (would you recommend doing the problems in these books as well, or just reading?) when pursuing these fields in Physics? What level of programming and computer science knowledge should students looking at Physics grad programs have?

For instance, beyond Calculus III & IV, Linear Algebra I, Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations, are there any other highly advisable courses?

Sorry if this too general and please ask for further clarifications if needed! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a thread around here that has to do with "can I get into physics with such and such degree" you might want to search for that - a lot of good information in it.

Generally what most graduate programs in physics are looking for is someone who has an undergraduate degree in physics. There are some programs that can allow cross-over, such as engineering physics or physical chemistry. A minor in applied math won't cut it. A major in applied math with a lot of supplementary physics courses might be allowed, but that's a call that happens on a school-by-school basis. I think a minor in applied mathematics coupled with a biochemistry major is going to be a hard sell. The reason is that you won't also have a lot of the coursework such as: upper level E&M, upper level quantum, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, or a senior laboratory course (in physics).

If you're at a point where you haven't decided on a major yet, why not switch into a physics major?

As a rule of thumb, the "core four" upper-division undergraduate courses (beyond the first and second year introductory courses) that physics graduate schools look for (at least in the US) are:

• Classical mechanics (up to at least Lagrangian mechanics)
  • Electromagnetism (preferably two semesters)
  • Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics
  • Quantum mechanics

As far as math is concerned: calculus, linear algebra and differential equations are standard. In my experience (a long time ago!) complex variables would be nice to have. I ended up taking it as a cognate course when I was in grad school.

What is Physics and why is it important?

Physics is a natural science that studies matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. Physics is important because it allows us to make predictions and develop technologies that improve our daily lives.

Can I pursue a career in Physics without a Physics background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in Physics without a Physics background. Many scientists and researchers in the field have diverse academic backgrounds, such as mathematics, engineering, or computer science. However, it may require additional effort and dedication to catch up on the necessary knowledge and skills.

What are some resources for learning Physics from a non-Physics background?

There are several resources available for learning Physics from a non-Physics background. Some options include online courses, textbooks, and joining study groups or tutoring sessions. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from professors or mentors in the field.

What are some challenges I may face when transitioning into Physics from a non-Physics background?

One challenge may be catching up on the necessary background knowledge and skills, such as calculus and basic physics principles. Another challenge may be adjusting to the rigorous and mathematical nature of the subject. It may also take some time to build a strong foundation in Physics and fully grasp the concepts.

What are some tips for success in pursuing Physics from a non-Physics background?

Some tips for success include staying motivated, seeking help when needed, and practicing consistently. It may also be helpful to focus on building a strong foundation in key concepts and continually challenging yourself to deepen your understanding. Additionally, networking and seeking mentorship can provide valuable support and guidance in your journey into Physics.