Identifying this unknown component

• Thread starter Mniazi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the conversation discusses a component found in an old VCR that is unable to be identified. It is speculated to be a signal filter package and possibly a hybrid integrated circuit. The speaker also mentions the challenges of identifying components in crowded circuit boards and the rapid development of technology. They suggest finding a service manual for the VCR to learn more about the component.
Mniazi
I opened my old VCR and on one of the circuits was a component which I couldn't recognize. I am usually quite good at identifying circuit components, by the abbreviations or their symbol. But this one just left me dumb founded. Its letter on the board was FL, I checked on various datasheets about it but couldn't get to know what it is. My speculation is that it is a signal filter package. Like usually electronic filter circuits are composed of inductors and capacitors. This piece even has circular bulges in it which look like there is a inductor coil or something in it. Anyways I am still not sure and breaking it up to check won't be an option as I like collecting electric components of circuits, and I only have two of these :P. here is the picture of it:
xf3von.jpg

vqhd9i.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yup, agree with AZ

Hybrid IC's Quite common in older gear, not so often seen these days

usually they used a ceramic substrate with circuit tracks, on which were mount resistors, Capacitors, transistors etc

it was a way to overcome component mounting problems when component density was an issue
Think of why they build skyscrapers... if you don't have the real estate to build outwards, you go up

cheers
Dave

Thanks guys! quite a find I guess.
davenn yes, the circuit was quite crowded, there were boards on top of boards. That VCR was from the 1980s, I had another VCR from 2000 which had a smaller, less crowded circuit board. Awesome to see how much development happened in such less years.

I recall thinking hybrid stuff was old school back in the early 90s. Funny how age does that to you. Technology now that is as old as hybrid stuff was in the early 90s does not seem that old to me.

1. What is the purpose of identifying an unknown component?

Identifying an unknown component is important in order to understand its properties and potential uses. It can also help with troubleshooting and determining compatibility with other components.

2. How can I identify an unknown component?

There are several methods for identifying an unknown component, including visual inspection, electrical testing, and comparing its physical characteristics to known components. Online databases and expert assistance can also be helpful.

3. What are the common characteristics to look for when identifying an unknown component?

Some common characteristics to look for include size, shape, color, markings, and any unique features or components attached to it. The material and construction of the component can also provide clues.

4. Can I identify an unknown component without specialized equipment?

While specialized equipment can be helpful, it is not always necessary to identify an unknown component. Visual inspection and basic electrical testing can often provide enough information to identify the component.

5. What should I do if I am unable to identify an unknown component?

If you are unable to identify an unknown component, you can seek assistance from experts in the field or use online resources such as component identification forums or databases. It is also important to consider the source of the component and any potential safety risks before using it in a project.