Are Parallel Circuits Affected When One Bulb Goes Out?

in summary, when one of the light bulbs in my living room goes out, the switch still controls both lights even though one of the bulbs is no longer working. this is because the light switch controls two bulbs, not one, and the bulbs are in parallel. since the switch controlled two bulbs, aren't they in parallel? so then why didn't the light bulb that is still on get any brighter?why would you expect a bulb with a given wattage get brighter?
iScience
my living room light switch controls two lights. one of the light bulbs just went out.
since the switch controlled two bulbs, aren't they in parallel? so then why didn't the light bulb that is still on get any brighter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would you expect a bulb with a given wattage get brighter?

dlgoff said:
Why would you expect a bulb with a given wattage get brighter?

indeed.

consider that it still has the same voltage across it 110V 240V ( whatever in your country)

so say 100W globe, 110V what is the current flowing through it ?

2 x 100W globes in parallel with 110V across them, what is the current through each of them ?

3 100W globes in parallel with 110V across them, what is the current through each of them ?

when you have worked that out ... do you see where its leading ?

cheers
Dave

I thought the power rating tells you what the device was made for. regardless of what current and voltage you put across the device, the device has its inherent Z value, whether or not its dynamic (a function).if the light in parallel goes out, all the sudden there is a change in Z(eq). Remaining at the same brightness implies either...

1.) The circuit is not just a simple parallel circuit.

or..

2.) the light bulb has somehow increased its Z value.there is definitely an initial change in Z(eq); what i'd like to know is what happened such that the current remained the same?

so say 100W globe, 110V what is the current flowing through it ?

2 x 100W globes in parallel with 110V across them, what is the current through each of them ?

3 100W globes in parallel with 110V across them, what is the current through each of them ?

when you have worked that out ... do you see where its leading ?

$$I=\frac{P}{V}=\frac{V}{R_{eq}}=V(\frac{1}{R_1+R_2+...})$$

still dependent on the number of loads in parallel. i still don't get it

iScience said:
there is definitely an initial change in Z(eq); what i'd like to know is what happened such that the current remained the same?

why do you think current has remained the same?

because the second light bulb (one that's still on) didn't change in brightness

iScience said:
because the second light bulb (one that's still on) didn't change in brightness

right, the current in that leg of the parallel circuit has stayed the same. But the other leg now has zero current, so the total current in the light fixture must have dropped in half.

ohhh... i see .

okay thanks!

1. How does a parallel circuit work?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in parallel to each other, meaning that they are connected in separate branches. This allows the current to flow through each branch independently, rather than through every component in series.

2. What happens when one bulb goes out in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, if one bulb goes out, the rest of the bulbs will remain lit. This is because each bulb has its own separate branch and the current can still flow through the other branches and bulbs. However, the brightness of the remaining bulbs may be slightly affected because the overall resistance of the circuit decreases.

3. Will the voltage change if one bulb goes out in a parallel circuit?

The voltage in a parallel circuit will not change if one bulb goes out. This is because the voltage across each branch of a parallel circuit remains the same, and the voltage will still be applied to the remaining bulbs. However, the current flowing through each branch may change due to the change in resistance.

4. Can a parallel circuit be affected by multiple bulbs going out?

In a parallel circuit, if multiple bulbs go out, the rest of the bulbs will still remain lit. This is because each bulb has its own branch and the current can still flow through the other branches. However, the overall brightness of the remaining bulbs may be significantly affected because the overall resistance of the circuit decreases.

5. How do I troubleshoot a parallel circuit if one bulb goes out?

If one bulb goes out in a parallel circuit, you can troubleshoot the issue by first checking the bulb itself to make sure it is not burned out. Then, you can check the connections in the circuit to make sure they are secure. If the issue persists, you may need to check the voltage and current in each branch to identify any problems with the circuit components.