Mystery Bulge in Oregon Still Growing

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, a recent survey of a bulge that covers about 100 square miles near the South Sister indicates the area is still growing, suggesting it could be another volcano in the making or a major shift of molten rock under the center of the Cascade Range.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
BEND, Ore. (AP) -- A recent survey of a bulge that covers about 100 square miles near the South Sister indicates the area is still growing, suggesting it could be another volcano in the making or a major shift of molten rock under the center of the Cascade Range.

Recent eruptions at nearby Mount St. Helens in Washington state have rekindled interest in the annual Sisters survey and its findings.

Oregon has four of the 18 most active volcanoes in the nation -- Mount Hood, Crater Lake, Newberry and South Sister. A recent U.S. Geological Survey report said monitoring is inadequate at all of them, with only basic monitoring at about half of the active volcanoes. [continued]
http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/ap_050906_sisters_bulge.html

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I was just discussing that with my friend who lives in that area. I think it's an attempt to improve tsunami prevention. Make the whole area higher ground!

LURCH said:
I was just discussing that with my friend who lives in that area. I think it's an attempt to improve tsunami prevention. Make the whole area higher ground!

Considering that Bend is already at an elevation of 3,623', is about 150 miles from the coast, and has the Cascade mountain range between it and the Pacific, wouldn't that be overkill?

I had thought perhaps Ivan has put on a few pounds with all the good BBQ in the summer.
If it is a magma pool, will it erupt? or will it just ooze out? Thats a very large area.

The latest theory is that it will produce a small eruption that will add a new "Sister" to the mountains already standing there (assuming it doesn't just subside). My friend Brian in Eugene is kind-of hoping this proves true, as he would be close enough to possibly see the glow at night and cloud in the day; maybe even take occasional trips closer into watch the show, but the area is remote enough that such a small eruption would not be likely to produce casualties.

What is causing the mystery bulge in Oregon?

The mystery bulge in Oregon is caused by a phenomenon known as a slow slip event. This is when a large section of the Earth's crust slips slightly over a period of weeks to months, causing the surface to bulge or subside.

Is this bulge dangerous?

The bulge itself is not considered dangerous, as it is a relatively slow and gradual process. However, it is a sign of increased stress on the region's faults, which could potentially lead to a larger earthquake in the future.

How long has the bulge been growing?

The bulge was first detected in 2013 and has been growing and subsiding in cycles since then. However, this particular cycle of growth has been ongoing since 2019 and is currently still growing.

Are there any other areas experiencing similar bulges?

Yes, there are other areas around the world that experience slow slip events and bulges. Some notable examples include Japan, New Zealand, and the Pacific Northwest region of the United States.

What are scientists doing to monitor and study this bulge?

Scientists are using a variety of techniques to monitor and study the bulge, including GPS measurements, satellite imagery, and seismic data. They are also conducting field studies to better understand the underlying causes and potential impacts of the bulge.