Atomic physics - nuclear fission

In summary, the conversation discusses a multiple choice question about nuclear fission and the correct answer being D, with the clarification that statement (2) is confusing because it involves the concept of naturally occurring elements. The conversation then goes on to discuss the meaning of naturally occurring elements and how it relates to statement (3).
lingling
Homework Statement
1. Which of the following statements is / are not correct?

(1) In fission, two large fragments of equal masses are produced from a nuclide.
(2) Natually occurring elements perform fission spontaneously.
(3) 2 H2O --> 2H2 + O2 involves nuclear fission.

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

3. It's a MC question and the answer is

D (1), (2) and (3)

My question is: I don't understand the meaning of statement (2).
Thus I 've got a wrong answer.
Can anyone please kindly explain to me ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a naturally occurring element is? How would you define a naturally occurring element?

Hootenanny said:
Do you know what a naturally occurring element is? How would you define a naturally occurring element?

Argee! That's why i don't know how to solve this question.

Let's think about (3) for a second. What's the answer and why ?

Daniel.

What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into smaller fragments, releasing a large amount of energy.

How does nuclear fission occur?

Nuclear fission occurs when a neutron collides with the nucleus of an atom, causing it to become unstable and split into two or more smaller nuclei.

What are the applications of nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity, in nuclear weapons to produce explosive energy, and in nuclear medicine for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear fission?

The advantages of nuclear fission include its high energy output, low carbon emissions, and the ability to produce electricity on a large scale. However, the disadvantages include the potential for accidents and environmental hazards, as well as the issue of nuclear waste disposal.

What is the difference between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fission involves the splitting of an atom's nucleus, while nuclear fusion involves the merging of two or more atomic nuclei to form a larger nucleus. Nuclear fusion releases even more energy than nuclear fission, but it is more difficult to achieve and control.