Maths needed for civil/mech engineering

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: So, yes, you'll need to be proficient in linear algebra. But it's definitely not a prerequisite for most ME programs.
dontdisturbmycircles
I always feel guilty posting questions, :redface:, but I need some help.

I am trying to find out a basic outline of the math courses needed to graduate with a degree in civil engineering. The obvious ones are calc I II III, diff EQ's, lots of linear algebra, but what else? Oh and multivariable calc of course (is that covered in calc III? I think it is, but only to a mild extent)

I looked all around the net but could only find info on first year programs. Could someone give me some information in this regard? Thankyou very much in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
calc 3 is multivariable, I think that's about it though for civil/mech, maybe a course in partial diffs and soe extra physics courses.

I don't think linear algebra is required for most mechanical/civil engineering programs. Calc 1-3 and diff eq. definitely.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
lots of linear algebra

Not exactly lots of linear algebra. Only the basics. The rest depends on your interests.

Certainly, you should be familiar with
algebra, geometry, and trigonometry...
introductory calculus, including vector algebra and vector calculus.
Linear algebra (i.e. matrix methods) is needed to solve [possibly huge] systems of equations.
Ordinary and Partial diff eqs and Complex Variables would be useful for more advanced topics.
Numerical methods, including Finite Element methods, might be good.

I always feel guilty posting questions, :redface:, but I need some help.

I am trying to find out a basic outline of the math courses needed to graduate with a degree in civil engineering. The obvious ones are calc I II III, diff EQ's, lots of linear algebra, but what else? Oh and multivariable calc of course (is that covered in calc III? I think it is, but only to a mild extent)

I looked all around the net but could only find info on first year programs. Could someone give me some information in this regard? Thankyou very much in advance! :smile:

civil engineering will require less math than mechanical engineering...

MEs usually have to take at least calc 1-3, DE, prob/stats, advanced engineering math, and a numerical methods course. There will also be some PDE and linear alg in your engineering courses too, but you may not need a stand alone course in these subjects. You can usually pick up what you need in the engineering courses.

and calc 3 is multivariable calc and vector calc.

Hello, Civil Major here.

Algebra, Geometry, Single Variable Calculus, Multivariable Calculus, Vectorial Calculus, Intro to DE (most enphasis on ODE), Intro to Linear Algebra (Mostly Matrix Methods) and Numerical Methods.

Thankyou everyone. I appreciate that a lot. :)

I am surprised, I thought there would be more linear algebra and stuff. But I suppose that if I am interested in LA I can take a few extra math courses as radou said.

Anyways, thanks again.

Cyclovenom said:
Hello, Civil Major here.

Algebra, Geometry, Single Variable Calculus, Multivariable Calculus, Vectorial Calculus, Intro to DE (most enphasis on ODE), Intro to Linear Algebra (Mostly Matrix Methods) and Numerical Methods.

I forgot! also a Probability and Statistics course.

Btw, FEA is a graduate course in most universities.

Last edited:
Posted by: leright
...calc 3 is multivariable calc and vector calc

The assumption that calc 3 is multivarible largly depends on your university system.

So check with the university before jumping to that conclusion. For instance at my university, calc 3 does introduce multivarible calculus; however, there is a 4th term of calculus that fully addresses multivarible calculus, and is required of both engineering and physics majors.

Just wanted to put that out there.

I am surprised, I thought there would be more linear algebra and stuff. But I suppose that if I am interested in LA I can take a few extra math courses as radou said.

Do so, since LA is extremely fundamental and will be of a lot of help to you, specially if you get into numerical math.

(Multi)linear algebra, as matrix algebra, is essential partly because almost all computational mechanics methods are matrix based. And by far the most common engineering analysis method is, as mentioned earlier, finite element analysis. This is almost invariably done by computer.

However, it's not just about computer methods. Manipulating the components of vectors (forces, velocities), 2nd order tensors (stresses, strains), etc is often best done with matrices.

1. What specific areas of math are important for civil/mechanical engineering?

The key areas of math needed for civil/mechanical engineering include algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and differential equations.

2. Why is math important in civil/mechanical engineering?

Math is important in civil/mechanical engineering because it helps engineers analyze and solve complex design problems, make accurate measurements and calculations, and ensure the safety and functionality of structures and machines.

3. Do I need to be good at math to be a civil/mechanical engineer?

While a strong foundation in math is necessary for civil/mechanical engineering, it is not the only skill required for success in this field. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail.

4. Can I use a calculator or computer for math in civil/mechanical engineering?

Yes, calculators and computers are commonly used in civil/mechanical engineering for more complex calculations and simulations. However, a solid understanding of math principles is still essential for using these tools effectively.

5. Is it necessary to have advanced knowledge of math for civil/mechanical engineering?

While advanced knowledge of math is not necessarily required, having a strong understanding of advanced concepts such as calculus and differential equations can be beneficial for more complex engineering projects and designs.